Converting from Diesel to Petrol.

Mike2822425

Visit site
No this not a mistake in the post! PBO No.437 May 2003 featured on pages 110/113 a Parham built Folkboat "Kalima". Well soon after this article, Kalima was sold, and the new owner has gone diesel.

I am now the owner of the Dolphin engine from Kalima for my Folkboat (he must be mad you are saying) but maddness is not my problem. The previous engine in my Folkboat was diesel I am told (long gone). No problem with engine line ups for the Dolphin it goes in nicely BUT without removing the self draining cockpit and a cutting half the boat appart I cannot get the old fuel tank out! If this was a diesel to petrol conversion it would not matter as a diesel likes a bit of petrol now and then. So any advise please on how to clean a diesel tank insitu so that a 40/1 petrol mix may be used? Its stainless.

Mike.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Freebee

Visit site
If you can access the top of the then maybe you can suck out all the diesel. If it was possible to get your arm in thru an acces panel I would give it a wipe out with lint free cloth. But that may be impossible so I would add some petrol agitate the tank as much as possible and let it run out or pump it out dispose of it. I think a petrol engine will run with trace diesel in it and you want 40/1 anyway.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
why bother, as the other poster thought, no harm will come to burning a bit of diesel with the petrol, its only a heavier fraction of the same stuff that came out of the ground, dont leave gallons in tho! other wise you will start getting into a vaporisation problem. if you think about it my old fanny barnett ran on 1/2 pint of oil to a gallon (16-1) so 40 -1 will still stand a bit more of heavier fractions in it before it wont vaporise
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>

richardandtracy

Visit site
I agree with the other posts. A small amount of diesel will be OK.
Syphon as much diesel out as you can, then dry the inside of the tank with a cloth if possible (don't risk loosing any threads in the tank), and fill completely with petrol. It may be a bit smokey for the first couple of tank fulls, but after that it's bound to be OK.

Regards

Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Alistairr

Visit site
A question out of the blue, Are you based in the Clyde?? (Largs poss.?)

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.hamptonandmcmurray.co.uk>Hampton and McMurray</A>