converting anchor windless to two way

voyager35

Visit site
I have on my recently purchased yacht a Simpson Lawrence anchor windless. It is in good working order but I find using it frustrating as it only has a up switch and especially when retrieving the anchor I often need to raise/lower the chain a few meters to clear mud, weed etc and with the manual clutch this is slow and difficult to control.
Is there any reason that i cant fit a new double action anchor windless solenoid and another deck switch

Stemar

Visit site
How many terminals are there on the windlass? If there are only two, someone who really knows them will have to advise you. If three, with only two connected, the other one is probably the down direction +ve.

If all three are connected, look at the relay, but I can't imagine fitting a two-way windlass and relay without fitting controls for up and down.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Dependent on what type of windlass you have

Enhance Your Drive: Inside the Hood Essentials

Windlass-Wiring.gif

2 terminal motor
lewmar-windlass-wiring-diagram.jpg

https://diagramweb.net/img/lewmar-windlass-wiring-diagram.jpg
3 terminal motor.

Neeves

Visit site
If you confirm which SL windlass you have someone might be able to be more useful.

Many windlass are intended to be both up and down - we are only guessing.

Jonathan

Tranona

Visit site
Pretty sure SL windlasses only run down. If it ran both ways, surely it would have been wired to use such a facility?

voyager35

Visit site
Thank you for your replies.
Rodgers wiring dia is exactly how I thought it would work
I will have to look at my windless and manual when i get back to the boat next week. Fortunately I have the manual for it and somewhere in it it states that with certain options (that it doesnt list) the windless can be run in two directions.
So further investigation needed