convert fridge to freezer?

catman

Visit site
I have a top opening fridge, the carcase being a built in moulding. The interior control unit is by "frigoboat" as is the motor control unit (12 volt). Can anybody tell me if it is possible to convert the unit into a freezer? If so any tips or advice on how to go about it would be appreciated.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
you would normally have much thicker insulation for a freezer, so if you do convert, expect the motor to be running much more than normal. Best people to give advice would be <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.penguinfrigo.co.uk/default.shtm>Penguin</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

brianhumber

Visit site
I changed the fridge on Ronhilda with a simple drop in Wilo top access fridge by taking the whole existing away and starting again. This new fridge has proved to be excellent and will easily cool down to -10C if left running for a couple of hours, the milk was continually freezing and staying frozen without further running all across the channel until I adjusted the stat. IMHO this shows the benifit of a commercially insulated and assembled drop in and use unit. You need a sufficent area of evaporator plate and then good insulation to achieve this otherwise, which most most yard built cool box fridges with retro fitted compressor units tend not to have.

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
the books advise min 2ins insulation for a fridge, 4 for a freezer. if you have less than that you'll be struggling.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I did it a couple of weeks ago by turning the thermostat control the wrong way (I fitted it in a place where I can't see the numbers) and leaving it on for about 4 hours. The temperature inside fell to -15 C

Other posters have referred to the increased battery drain and the need for better insulation. My batteries were certainly drained by the experience. The insulation on mine is as thick as I could get in that I squirted foam all round it to fill up the spaces but the gap is only about 40 mm between the box and the hull.

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I did it a couple of weeks ago by turning the thermostat control the wrong way (I fitted it in a place where I can't see the numbers) and leaving it on for about 4 hours. The temperature inside fell to -15 C

Other posters have referred to the increased battery drain and the need for better insulation. My batteries were certainly drained by the experience. The insulation on mine is as thick as I could get in that I squirted foam all round it to fill up the spaces but the gap is only about 40 mm between the box and the hull.

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson

catman

Visit site
Thanks for your reply, couldn't believe the speed of the response. Looked at Penguin as you suggested (brilliant web site) have e-mailed them and am awaiting response.

<hr width=100% size=1>