Consultancy again

zoidberg

Visit site
Anyone around with 'hands-on' experience of fitting one or more of these...?

53813787621_971e445c56.jpg

I've bought one and aspire to fitting it somewhere up front very difficult of access. First look at the thing suggests several difficulties......

I can't orient the base as I'd like due to other 'deck furniture' in the way, but only at 90 degrees to the obvious.
I've worked out how to get a T20 star drive into the M10 bolt which links the top to the baseplate, but it doesn't seem truly secure.
There's a hex-head grub screw in the side, presumably to lock the top from rotating and loosening the M10 bolt.

There is no data sheet or any form of instruction - not even an IKEA sketch.

I suspect there are snags and traps for the unwary.

All offers of commiseration are welcome.

Neeves

Visit site
Might I suggest the obvious.....

Ask Selden

One idea - you have other furniture in close proximity which presumably means you cannot use the 3 holes in the base plate (as designed?)

Make a new base plate to accept the supplied base plate. Make the new base plate to fit between all the stuff you already have up there, it might look very strange but with a matching plate underneath and inside should be sufficiently strong - so a hefty irregularly shaped plate (but designed to fit in the spaces currently available between all the other stuff). The new plate wants to be quite beefy and then the 3 bolts used to hold the sprit can be counter sunk giving you a flush base to your new plate.

You could follow my suggestion and use the plate to 'house' all the stuff already there (as well as the sprit), so the plate might then be a simple triangle to fit the bow - but that might be more difficult to accept the existing components.

Its a pity you are one of the few who does not own a mobile phone (they can be really useful) as you could then post a picture. I do confess I cannot stand mobile phones, no-one I know rings me but I do get a lot of calls from people I don't know and certainly don't want to speak to and who always phone me when I'm up a mast or hanging upside down over an engine.

Jonathan

SteveA

Visit site
Anyone around with 'hands-on' experience of fitting one or more of these...?

53813787621_971e445c56.jpg

I've bought one and aspire to fitting it somewhere up front very difficult of access. First look at the thing suggests several difficulties......

I can't orient the base as I'd like due to other 'deck furniture' in the way, but only at 90 degrees to the obvious.
I've worked out how to get a T20 star drive into the M10 bolt which links the top to the baseplate, but it doesn't seem truly secure.
There's a hex-head grub screw in the side, presumably to lock the top from rotating and loosening the M10 bolt.

There is no data sheet or any form of instruction - not even an IKEA sketch.

I suspect there are snags and traps for the unwary.

All offers of commiseration are welcome.
I've fitted one of these for a removable pole and did so by using the cheek of one of the bow rollers. The M10 bolt goes into a nyloc nut so is secure

Jon magowan

Visit site
Hello. I can’t really help but can sympathise.
I bought a Bavaria 33 Cruiser a while ago with one of these ‘shoehorned’ onto the bow. The surveyor pointed out that it was actually only properly held on by one bolt.
It was very awkward to get to but I managed to cobble together a secure solution using a straight piece of metal bracing beneath the deck to bridge a large gap and give a good anchorage to the two other bolts. Then sealed everything with butyl tape.
I could get some photos for you if you think it might help.
The boat is in Plymouth by the way, if you happen to be near there.