Congestion charge for boats

max_power

Visit site
Is it reasonabe to assume that the faster a boat goes the more room it takes up ?

I think that as catamarans, racing yachts and power boats come under this category, they should pay a congestion charge for this benefit, particularly in crowded areas.

This seems reasonable as the forthcoming London experiment is following this format i.e. motorbikes free of charge etc.

This tax could be collected via sailmakers with a formula based on waterline length/sail area and tax on marine engines/outboards using waterline/hp.

cgull

Visit site
Perhaps if we did Med style bows or stern to pontoons we could get 3 times more boats in marinas . Would charges reduce by 2/3rds or stay the same?

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
ah but when you monohull boys are sailing at 30 degrees or so the triangle you take up is far larger than my 14ft beam, so I think you too should be levied for a space made up by 30 degrees worth either side.

That would seem a nice fair estimate, and now you draft more, so add to congestion in narrow channels, again a levy to who ever.

Hey you should pay more than the poor cat owners who already get surcharged in Southern marinas but still get put on the extreem pontoon away from everything.

<font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

tcm

Visit site
error in line 1

Unfortunately your argument is flawed. Boats or cars or anything take up less room when moving fast. In other words, at any roadworks, the speediest method of traffic management would be to enforce that everyone increased their speed thru the bottleneck by 50%, and retun to normal speed after the bottleneck.

I hope your argument isn't motivated by your ban-or-tax-everything leftie regime we have in power at the moment. This only serves to deter the poorer in society. Tax away- but your plan wil reduce the number of small boats, not the larger ones. Seven years into a labour administratin and we have a worse transport system than ever (and didn't we think that they'd place an order for new trains on day 1?) no fire engines, no central line, and a war looming that wil help us all to a recession.

Have you a better idea?

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
Congestion? What\'s that?

Is congestion something you Southern types create for yourselves? Never seen congestion in Bardsey Sound. Saw another boat going the other way once though. On one trip recently across Cardigan Bay (from Milford Haven to Pwllheli) having not seen another single boat on the whole 100 mile trip, it was beginning to get a bit lonely.

Adventures of the <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

snowleopard

Visit site
if you want to tax on water space taken up it should be measured on volume of water displaced (aka displacement). so who needs big lumps of lead hung on the bottom ;-)

jimi

Visit site
(sum(Volume of water to the power of the number of hulls n the water times time)/total time) * density of water in home port

Forbsie

Visit site
Excellent idea!

I'll leave it up to you to tell my local rowing club on the Thames.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

Aeolus_IV

Visit site
Seems to me that most of the motor boats whose owners I have spoken to displace quite significant volumes of water. After all, if your sailing, you want the boat to be only as heavy as it needs to be. :cool:

Jeff.

tcm

Visit site
ah. but quite few motorboats rise up out ofhe water, thereby displacing nothing at all, so wd be bit like a flying car which would avoid the London congestion charge yes?

Anyway, the promise has been offered by Ken that if it's an obvious failure he'll pack itin. I am considering getting a load ofscrap cars, driving them into london and leaving them near my destination, thereby ensuring total chaos and repeal of gated capital city which conveniently house all governments bods for whom we all pay taxes, and who should be shot in a popular uprising, imho.

max_power

Visit site
I have a better idea - THE MESSERSCHMITT !

Oh behave TCM !

Our Ken a leftie ?

The block is a nutter, but you have to give him credit for wanting to keep those dangerous Routemaster buses. As usual though, he's got it all wrong again. The rich will notice no difference and the remaining majority will feel it. But something has to be done - and it must be bold.

My solution ? If we go into our cities we must trade down on the edges to something like the Messserschmitt three wheeled car with top loading acccess with you and the wife abaft each other to save width. They will be like money in the slot bumper cars which you can leave anywhere etc.

What say you ?