Confession of a Sad Skipper

SloopJohnB

Visit site
You know the situation. Your’e jollying along, sails vaguely right for the point of sailing (or maybe not ‘cos you couldn’t be ar*ed for the last half hour after the last change of direction/wind shift). Tiller wedged by your legs/ in the care of the autopilot. Suddenly you spot it. That yacht has been keeping pace with you for the last 10 mins and looks like it’s gaining on you. About the same size as your pride and joy as well. Probably also going to same destination. SWMBO is reading/dozing/drinking while you play with your boat.
You start to check the sails and before she knows it SWMBO is pressed into action, winching on/letting out the genny gradually while you watch those telltales/ check the genny cars. She doesn’t have to ask why by now cos she’s been in this situation a thousand times before. Next the main. Checkout those telltales and tighten that leechline.
The race is on!! Could have sworn I saw his missus winching on. Is he tacking too early?
Is he doing the same as me or am I the only one whose racing?

Seafort

Visit site
Re: Should I be ashamed........

........Of that "smug" feeling you get when passing a similar yacht, under full sail, when you allready have a reef in?

Then seeing a reef go in as you pass......./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Dave.

S

Skyva_2

Who once said?

'I'm a confirmed cruising sailor - except when there is another boat on the water....'

Keith

Visit site
Fatal...

"... the first to get the other bloke fiddling with his sails will be the winner."

As an old salt once said to me.

Steve Cronin

SloopJohnB

Visit site
.........or when your sure he's going to pass you, give her the tiller while you go below to "check the chart" and then reappear as he passes and blame her helming!

Col

Visit site
Do you have a "Hot hatch" as well?, you boy racer you !

Reminds me of a few years ago, when I owned an old BSA. When coming second in a burn up, common ploy was to fiddle with fuel tap, and make out you were running out of fuel, and switching to reserve.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/colspics> Cols Picture Album</A>

G

Been there done that, its always nice to be the "overtaking boat" 'cause you can see his every move whereas he has to look over his shoulder and doesn't want to keep doing that or he'll give the game away. Then as I pass I doff my cap and shout over "nice day for a potter about" and hold up my little "stubby beer bottle" Luckily he cant see the sweat running down my brow<s>

steveh

Visit site
If they are going in the same direction of course its a race - amazing how often the overtaking boat turns out to be a bit bigger or a quicker design or ...........

G

Cheating ----me ME ? Never !!

The biggest problem I have ... (In UK) - being a heavy motor-sailer is trying to hide the exhaust smoke and DONK DONK DONK of the diesel !!!! If I cut the donkey and try with only sails - I lose to all !!

Out in Baltic I have racer and that tweaks up nicely !!! Most get overhauled by it !!!!! And there I can actually really sit with a beer in hand and still tramp on by !

Aja

Visit site
We keep a couple of empty mugs handy in the corner of the cockpit for that very eventuality!

billmacfarlane

Visit site
I like doing the opposite. As you sail by a yacht , wave a cheery beer bottle at them as if to say " I've overtaken you but I'm not REALLY trying" . It's almost always guaranteed to cause all sorts of action in the other boat.