Condensation - solutions?

Visit site
This back end we have had more condensation on the boat than I can ever recall. Normally over winter I use a pipe heater to keep her dryish while she is on the hard. Would a de-humidifier present a better option - if so what type would folk suggest?

Dougie

Spi D

Visit site
A dessicant dehumidifyer is the ultimate solution. Make sure you get one that suit your operating needs - not all will start after power outages (or a timer) without a push of the ON button.

Not same cost as ventilation, of course.

ex-Gladys

Visit site
This back end we have had more condensation on the boat than I can ever recall. Normally over winter I use a pipe heater to keep her dryish while she is on the hard. Would a de-humidifier present a better option - if so what type would folk suggest?

Dougie

No one has asked the obvious question, do you now have a leak of some sort and are therefore getting water in?

Visit site
No - there is no leak - when the weather permits we leave the hatch, companionway open while on board and she is dry. The condensation is worse in the morning unless we leave the portlights/hatch open while we sleep which is clearly more difficult when the weather turns colder. We have had the boat for 13 years and it has only been a seasonally minor concern until now. I suspect the recent weather has been a factor. I was just curious as to which would be the best way to lessen the effect over the winter.

johnalison

Visit site
In the past i have used a gel type thing that sits a tray and amazingy it collects water vapour, i used it in an old caravan. I will try and find out what is it.

just looked on ebay, it was this type of thing, not sure if it is what you want but it worked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...RC1.A0.H0.Xdamp+.TRS0&_nkw=damp+trap&_sacat=0

A gel-type thing can be useful for small spaces, and I used to use one on my Sadler 29, but I wouldn't expect it to have much effect on a larger boat. I still use one in the cockpit locker where the charger resides, but a dehumidifier in the cabin, where it will keep the boat as dry as one cares to choose.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
I used to rely on ventilation over the winter but decided to try a dehumidifier.
I consider it to be a big improvement. I have a desiccant type Meaco and it sits over the sink on a board with the vent draining into the sink through a whole in the board. You need to tape up vents and as many holes as possible so you are not dehumidifying the world.
I run mine for a couple of days on high then switch it to low for the rest of the time. It switches on and off by sensing the relative humidity level. My cushions etc are not damp and feel almost warm. The meaco emits warm air into the cabin when venting.
My Meaco was the junior 8 litre model DD8lj and I bought it from airconcentre.co.uk on line.
My electricity consumption over the coldest 3 months was less than £25 of which nearly £19 was the standing charge.

Yngmar

Visit site
Desiccant dehumidifier, fixing all the minor leaks and adding some insulation has helped my condensation problems enormously. The only place I still get it now is on the portlight/hatch perspex. That could perhaps be improved with covers on the outside, but I'm not that bothered. Also, a bit of heating when it gets very cold: diesel heater by day, which blows in heated outside air in large amounts and a small oil filled radiator on a low setting at night, because it doesn't make any noise. The dehumidifier also adds a bit of warm air while removing moisture and usually runs on the lowest setting (although the desert setting has been useful when having to dry clothes, bilges or wet plywood).

Other threads that may be of interest