Comprehensive yacht insurance

Ludd

Visit site
Oh ,I don't know ,Stu! I reckon you've pissed off a few in you time---

Anyway I have a bit of sympathy with Squeaky---I thought his question was perfectly clear, as in "Does anyone have any experience of insuring with Yachting 24?"
No one addressed this, all wanted to push their opinons of "their " insurance company. While some of this may have been informative, it certainly made no attempt to answer the original question!
I will just say that I have no knowledge of this particular insurer, and do not intend to advertise mine.

Tranona

Visit site
While some of this may have been informative, it certainly made no attempt to answer the original question!
I will just say that I have no knowledge of this particular insurer,.
Exactly. I did try and explain to Squeaky why he was not getting much response to the direct question. He is with an insurer that is not commonly used by folks here. also, so few people have claims experience that even with a popular insurer most feedback except on level of cover and price is not particularly useful.

Pavalijo

Visit site
If all respondents followed the many narrow questions posed with absolutely no deviation then this would be a tedious place. And if Squeaky can't be a#%^d to follow wider responses whilst awaiting a response to his narrow question then maybe he should pose his question elsewhere.
I watch with interest as someone who retires and casts off next year.
And whilst this might irritate the OP, as someone who is casting off from the cold north and heading towards Southern Europe, may I ask what effect leaving UK waters might have on my N&G comprehensive premium of a liitle over £400. My budget shows £1500 - hopefully pessimistic but am I covered (38' and £80k value)?
Sorry Squeaky, but hopefully you might even consider this bump of your post seeking an opinion of Yachting 24 insurance as beneficial to your cause!

Ludd

Visit site
If all respondents followed the many narrow questions posed with absolutely no deviation then this would be a tedious place. And if Squeaky can't be a#%^d to follow wider responses whilst awaiting a response to his narrow question then maybe he should pose his question elsewhere.
And whilst this might irritate the OP, as someone who is casting off from the cold north and heading towards Southern Europe, may I ask what effect leaving UK waters might have on my N&G comprehensive premium of a liitle over £400. My budget shows £1500 - hopefully pessimistic but am I covered (38' and £80k value)?
Sorry Squeaky, but hopefully you might even consider this bump of your post seeking an opinion of Yachting 24 insurance as beneficial to your cause!

I only have 3rd party, but I am covered for coastal(200 miles) European waters and inland waterways from Elbe to ,I think, Cape verdes and east as far as Gib. No increase therefor when I came south. Can't say for the Med.

Tranona

Visit site
Nowhere near that. My Bav 37 (£65k) based in Greece cost just under £550 compared with £350 when it was back in UK. Plus £80 supplement to cover the passage back to the UK round the outside. That was with Bishop Skinner.

As suggested by others, get a quote from Y Insurance. Doubt it will be more than £600 pa.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com

I'd never heard of this company before but the domain registered by Pantaenius UK Ltd in 2007. I see that OP already knows the companies are related so not new information for him. I'd also be surprised if OP got any meaningful replies to indicate that the company never paid out or were always very prompt with payment.

Thread drift:
Pavalijo, I stuck with N&G (customer for over 30 years) when I left Clyde in 2012 for an extended trip. However, I had more and more difficulty with cover as I moved around. Small print & inflexibility wrt areas covered. Moved to Y yachts and found them to be excellent regarding cover I required. I won't go into further detail here.

Squeaky

Visit site
Exactly. I did try and explain to Squeaky why he was not getting much response to the direct question. He is with an insurer that is not commonly used by folks here. also, so few people have claims experience that even with a popular insurer most feedback except on level of cover and price is not particularly useful.

Good morning Tranona:

I obviously did see your earlier post which was welcome however I was so concerned responding to other posts that I failed to respond to your post.

I suspected that Yachting24 would not have been used by many members but I was hoping for some feedback as I have been worrying that I may have signed up with some fly-by-night business which will turn out to be useless if and when I have a claim.

Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

Cheers

Squeaky

Heckler

Visit site
Oh ,I don't know ,Stu! I reckon you've pissed off a few in you time---

Anyway I have a bit of sympathy with Squeaky---I thought his question was perfectly clear, as in "Does anyone have any experience of insuring with Yachting 24?"
No one addressed this, all wanted to push their opinons of "their " insurance company. While some of this may have been informative, it certainly made no attempt to answer the original question!
I will just say that I have no knowledge of this particular insurer, and do not intend to advertise mine.
Hey you!
Who moi?
Got that donk in yet?
Was up the Guadiana for a week, phew it was hot!
See you before end of the year
S

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I have been wondering for some time if I had made a good decision when taking out comprehensive insurance on my yacht with Yachting24 - http://www.yachting24.co.uk/en
For many years I had been insured by Pantaenais and was perfectly happy with their coverage however I never had a chance to test their service insofar as claims went as I never had to make a claim from them.
The comprehensive insurance from Yachting24 is not a lot more expensive than my previous third party insurance and does not require a survey or anything similar - in a way it almost seems too good to be true.
Would welcome comments both pro and con in hopes that I can quell my concerns.
This is a copy of a posting I made in answer to a similar question almost two years ago:

"I was with AXA (Switzerland) with my 1981 HR, whose premiums had become ridiculous, despite never having made a claim, ever. When I asked Pantaenius for a quote they wanted a survey - expensive in Italy where I was moored. I shopped around a few others, who also wanted a survey - until I came upon Yachting24, an on-line company who didn't, and their premium was very competitive. It all seemed competently managed but I did have a slight worry about how a claim might be handled.

Then that very same year, 2012, I was anchored in Croatia when I was hit by a large German yacht that dragged down on me in a gale and I sustained severe damage. In a bit of a panic I phoned the number on the claim form to be answered by "Pantaenius Insurance" - the company was the on-line arm of the one who had refused me without a survey.

They were magnificent, immediately sending a local surveyor for damage assessment, for which I went into a nearby marina - good fun single-handed in the still >40 knot winds and a damaged boat. The company kept in regular contact to follow events, assured me they would cover the full cost of repairs but, at the same time, advised me that the logical course would be a direct claim on the other yacht's insurancer 'Bavaria Argentur', which was immediately accepted by them; they are situated in Hamburg as is Pantaenius's head office.

I can only recommend Yachting24 in the highest terms, they provided exemplary support at a time when I really needed it."

Sinbad1951

Visit site
Unfortunately there is little understood on these forums about 'Insurers' and this is clearly evidenced by the thread above.
The references to Y Yacht Insurance and Yachting 24 as insurers are completely incorrect. Both these organisations are not Insurers. They are Brokers. This simply means that they have the facility to place insurable risks with Insurance organisations which have underwriting capacity. This capacity may be Lloyds Syndicates, Gibralter companies, or high street insurers such as Axa or Aviva. They may also be 'underwiting agents. This is where an INSURER/Underwriter allows the broker to place risks without reference to the Insurers underwriting team. However neither of these scenarios make an Insurance broker an Insurer. At no time is that broker exposed to the cost of the claim/risks.
Thus stating that X is a good insurer or Y is a good insurer based upon their ability to charm you on the phone whilst they take your dosh is completely incorrect.
For those interested in the machinations of the Insurance world you only have to look at the recent history of the Broker Towergate. As it expanded and greatly increased the amount of premium it could make available to UNDERWRITERS ( ie, the companies and syndicates which guarantee they will pay the claims/take the risk) it was able to screw larger commissions from those same underwriters who saw the money pouring in without having to do the work. Inevitably premium income to UNDERWRITERS levels off but claims continue to increase until the cost of running that book of business is no longer profitable. Result, the UNDERWRITER withdraws the funding, the broker moves the business to another INSURER and the cycle repeats itself.
If you want good insurance where you dont have to worry about claims being paid then go to an underwriter with a high street presence where the cost of bad publicity will be greater than paying your claim. If you want to save £50 quid, then buy the cheapest you can get but remember that the cost of your claim will be the same with any INSURER and they all have to make a profit.

Squeaky

Visit site
This is a copy of a posting I made in answer to a similar question almost two years ago:

I can only recommend Yachting24 in the highest terms, they provided exemplary support at a time when I really needed it."

Good morning Barnac1e:
Thanks for your comments - this is the type of response I was looking for and can now relax and stop worrying about my insurance. I have never had a claim in over forty years and hope I never will but your comments gives me a reasonable hope any claims will be settled if I do.

Cheers

Squeaky

Visit site
Just moved to Y Yacht. Great communication so far (taking my money!!!) but very happy with their terms and attitude. Hope that I don't have to test them...

Same for me, moved to them ealier this year, agree great communication very professional.