Combined Shore power charger/MPPT controller/inverter

Irish Rover

Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade my solar to approx 1,100W and buy 2 x MPPT controllers and fit a Victron 3KVA inverter retrieved from a previous boat. There's already a Victron shore power charger in place. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a single unit which will do all 3 functions to save space and keep it simple. I know Victron have a combined MPPT and inverter and they also have a combined shore power and inverter but what about a single unit for all 3 functions??

LiftyK

Visit site
I have an ancient combi battery charger and shore power unit. As the suppliers had combi designs in their range, I looked to see what they do today. If this doesn’t suit, have a mooch around their website.

Integral

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
I'm planning to upgrade my solar to approx 1,100W and buy 2 x MPPT controllers and fit a Victron 3KVA inverter retrieved from a previous boat. There's already a Victron shore power charger in place. I'm wondering if it's possible to buy a single unit which will do all 3 functions to save space and keep it simple. I know Victron have a combined MPPT and inverter and they also have a combined shore power and inverter but what about a single unit for all 3 functions??
An example:- ?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25639485...851319&targetid=2271253360706&device=c&mktype

Trident

Visit site
The Easy Solar they say is not recommended for mobile applications

My question would be why one device? It means that if one thing fails you lose everything . Separate is safer.
You can get an inverter charger in one and get the MPPT separately and then if your charger fails you still have solar input or vice versa.

Personally, I have all three separate by design - so I use multiple MPPT for a big array - its more efficient and provides redundancy ; I'd suggest the same to you. Then I have an inverter for 220V but I chose not to get the inverter charger because I have set things up so I split my shore power input through a transfer switch and not through it - so 99% of the time I run off the inverter from solar only but if i need to I can turn the shore power battery charger on to boost charge to the batteries and still use the inverter - its just more economic and efficient than having to swap over to shore power .

KISS says three simple systems are better than one complex system ... just another view point

Irish Rover

Visit site
The Easy Solar they say is not recommended for mobile applications

My question would be why one device? It means that if one thing fails you lose everything . Separate is safer.
You can get an inverter charger in one and get the MPPT separately and then if your charger fails you still have solar input or vice versa.

Personally, I have all three separate by design - so I use multiple MPPT for a big array - its more efficient and provides redundancy ; I'd suggest the same to you. Then I have an inverter for 220V but I chose not to get the inverter charger because I have set things up so I split my shore power input through a transfer switch and not through it - so 99% of the time I run off the inverter from solar only but if i need to I can turn the shore power battery charger on to boost charge to the batteries and still use the inverter - its just more economic and efficient than having to swap over to shore power .

KISS says three simple systems are better than one complex system ... just another view point
Makes sense and that's probably where I've been headed all along as I already have a victron shore power charger fitted, I have a 3kw inverter retrieved from a previous boat, I've already identified 2 x 580w panels which will fit on my flybridge hardtop, and based on good advice on another thread, I'll go with 2 x 100/50 victron mppt controllers.

rotrax

Visit site
My experience of multi-function systems is not good. If one part fails the whole lot has to be replaced.

I would always go for 'stand alone' units for this reason.

We have 400W Solar, 2X200W rigid panels, EPever 30 amp controller, 3000W inverter all running from a 440AH spiral wound AGM House bank with a 110AH Engine battery plus the starter battery for the 8KW Genset.

Solar kit and inverter was supplied from an ebay supplier, Craig Solar. £700 all in and a little change.

Since installing in 2021 the batteries have only ever been charged by the solar or the engine alternator when motoring.

We run 2 Fridges, 1 freezer 24/7 when aboard. Even in dull weather it copes. Inverter runs the washing machine, vacuum cleaner, instant pot pressure cooker plus charging devices and the laptop. We use the boat through the winter on the mooring, batteries still well up.

Last edited: