Colvic UFO 27

Burnham_Bob

Visit site
A friend is looking to buy a second hand one. Any ideas from owners or previous owners as to what to look out for and any advice or gneral observations as to the boat itself would be welcome. Anyone had one and changed to something else in preference?

G

Hi Bob,

I looked at one of these a couple of months ago in the Solent area. It is a pretty "racy" design a little too near the racer end of cruiser racer for me! But, I imagine thay would be a lot of fun to sail and race (if you have the right crew, which I don't!).

The owner of the one I looked at said they were quite tender and liked to be reefed early. This is because they don't have a lot of hull in the water and therefore, anything much more than moderate heel tended to have you going sideways faster than forwards. It was a little cramped down below I felt but that might be just me. I also had a look at a recent survey for that boat and there didn't seem to be any major difficulties with it. That example was 15-20 years old so I think they were made quite well. I hope this helps,

Dave

G

Having worked for Colvic back in the late 70's, I can confirm that the UFO 27 was a very well built hull and superstructure. From memory, all of Colvics mouldings at the time were built to standards in excess of Lloyds 100A1. The problem that you are likely to find with any Colvic hull is the quality of fitting out. As a high proportion of their mouldings went to the DIY market place, so the standard of interior finish will vary dramatically from the 'labour of love' to the 'contiboard and MDF bodgit'!! There were several yards that finished the mouldings and marketed them on a commercial basis, and these were invariably finished to a high standard - anything bearing a Hartley Marine tag WILL be worth a look!

As to the all important sailing performance, yes, all the UFO range were aimed more towards the racing end of the cruiser racer market place, and I understand that they were fairly tender, welcoming the early reef!

Hope this helps!

G

I've had one for 16 years - very versatile and not tender by modern standards.
Tell me what you want to know?

G

thank you for sending me some information on the ufo 27
the reason i am .asking about them is because i intend to buy one
so i was worrying if they are a good sea worthy vessel.because i have young children and i need to now as much as i can about them so any iformation you
have would be most appreiciated thanks for your help

G

hi
regarding your enquirey about the ufo 27 i have one for sale if you of someone
who wants to purchase one could you please forward my email address thank you
george