Colregs, Three longish blasts?

peggyt1243

Visit site
Sitting in the marina at weekend we watched a cruise ship slip her lines. As she eased away from the wharf she let out three longish (four second) blasts on her horn, and repeated this about half a mile down river. Was the signal just a crowd pleaser chosen because it has no meaning to mariners, or does it have some significance that I’ve missed in all the colregs I studied?

"Sounding three short blasts indicates that the vessel’s engines are
going astern (in reverse)."

Four seconds is a short blast. A long blast is more like 7 or 8 seconds. Most ships leave the dock by reversing with the bow lines still attached. A ship is manouvered using the engines rather than the wheel. Perhaps downriver, the ship was positioning to get around a bend.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
"Sounding three short blasts indicates that the vessel’s engines are
going astern (in reverse)."

Four seconds is a short blast. A long blast is more like 7 or 8 seconds. Most ships leave the dock by reversing with the bow lines still attached. A ship is manouvered using the engines rather than the wheel. Perhaps downriver, the ship was positioning to get around a bend.
Hello Peggy welcome to the forum.

Allow me to contradict your very first post ;) and refer you to Rule 32 Definitions:

(b) The term short blast means a blast of about one second's duration.
(c) " " long " " " " " from four to six seconds' duration.

I have manouvered a motley selection of smallish ships without thrusters, and believe me the rudder was essential!

Cheers Jerry

Last edited:

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Three long blasts is the traditional "farewell" signal for liners. It is not covered by the collregs. Cunard tend to signal on leaving Southampton Water. Most others don't bother. Personally I think that it is nice to retain a bit of tradition now and again event if it not entirely within the rules.

Ahh, just perhaps as Ships leaving a port might be under the jurisdiction of local Harbour Regs and not necessarily COLREGS which are, as the name suggests (states) Collision Regulations at SEA, and as we all know a Port is usually not in a Sea.

Yes, great to see or really hear a bit of 'friendly' chat from Ships in port, especially as a recognition of 'friendship' and 'comradeship' between 'seafarers' . Experiences from 'yesteryears' show that there was usually quite a bit of contact /communication between Ships and Commercial Vessels whilst in a Dock area, shown by way of soundings on the Horn.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
Ahh, just perhaps as Ships leaving a port might be under the jurisdiction of local Harbour Regs and not necessarily COLREGS which are, as the name suggests (states) Collision Regulations at SEA, and as we all know a Port is usually not in a Sea.

Yes, great to see or really hear a bit of 'friendly' chat from Ships in port, especially as a recognition of 'friendship' and 'comradeship' between 'seafarers' . Experiences from 'yesteryears' show that there was usually quite a bit of contact /communication between Ships and Commercial Vessels whilst in a Dock area, shown by way of soundings on the Horn.

Yes, when I brought up in the sixties near Greenwich, there were still plenty of ships properly sounding their horns in bad viz, plus presumably giving manouvering signals etc when in sight of one another, and on New Years Eve at midnight they all used to go bananas, rattling the windows!

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Rule 98, Under all circumstances and in the prevailing economic conditions, and as ordered by the marketing department, each vessel shall give the punters their money's worth.

Great great great, its all 'showmanship' you know, rather like the offer to 'take drinks with the Captain' for 'certain class passengers', Walt Disney would be amazed :)

peggyt1243

Visit site
My father was the captain of a freighter. Engines were used to manouvre in tight areas. I am sure you are well aware that a ship can pivot in one place using just engines. My father retired some over 30 years ago and there were no bow thrusters and no joysticks.

dslittle

Visit site
A Google search finds .....

"Man Overboard"

or

"Thanks for the hospitality"

Take your pick.

Coming into St Helier the other day one of the fast cats was departing. I stayed to starboard of it (going across it's bow would have been interesting...) and it gave three long blasts. Reading the above makes me feel pleased (didn't see anyone in the water and it carried on)

Bilgediver

Visit site
It is a tradition that many ships uphold and especially the big passenger ships that they give three long blasts as they head to sea. . This has nothing to do with Colregs and is a message of appreciation for the hospitality received in port. I love it when I hear the passenger ships do it. Cargo ships I sailed on reserved this gesture for those ports that deserved it where it was appreciated by those for whom it was intended. Common courtesy and nothing to do with going astern :) :)

peggyt1243

Visit site
It is a tradition that many ships uphold and especially the big passenger ships that they give three long blasts as they head to sea. . This has nothing to do with Colregs and is a message of appreciation for the hospitality received in port. I love it when I hear the passenger ships do it. Cargo ships I sailed on reserved this gesture for those ports that deserved it where it was appreciated by those for whom it was intended. Common courtesy and nothing to do with going astern :) :)

http://www.cevni.info/sounds.pdf A 1 second blast is a very short blast. Check the pictoral description at the link.

Heckler

Visit site
v
Sitting in the marina at weekend we watched a cruise ship slip her lines. As she eased away from the wharf she let out three longish (four second) blasts on her horn, and repeated this about half a mile down river. Was the signal just a crowd pleaser chosen because it has no meaning to mariners, or does it have some significance that I’ve missed in all the colregs I studied?
One did 5 blasts to me a while back, think he was saying taraa!
S

DaveRo

Visit site
I was watching a programme on PBS yesterday about the covert recovery of a Russian nuclear sub in 1974. The recovery ship had pulled the sub off the seabed and it was suspended underneath the ship, out of range of conventional divers, while they waited for the accompanying Russian spyship to clear off. Luckily, before the weather worsened, the Russians 'sailed by, gave three hoots - the maritime signal for goodbye - and disappeared'. The Americans quickly reeled the sub in.
Interesting story - repeated in the next few days:
http://pbsamerica.co.uk/azorian

peggyt1243

Visit site

Actually the website is Australian.