Collision in the Channel?

G

I have just heard on the BBC Radio 2 11:00 News that a fishing vessel has collided with an Oil Tanker in the Dover Straights. A 20 foot hole in the side of the Tanker has now stopped leaking Oil into the channel. Not much more info than this.

The question in my mind reflects the thoughts of Robin Knox Johnson, If these two did not see each other in time to avoide a collision how in hell do we expect to be seen? I know that we all keep excellent watches (mine's a Breitling) but avoiding a collision is often the job of both vessels. So is the only way to avoide being run down to treat all power vessels as if they are the stand on vessel?

I am aware that there is no real answer to this, but the weather today is good, vis is good and the sea state is reported as "slight".

Thoughts?

Simes

G

Re: Collision

That a fishing vessel is involved, I do not find this surprising. I have had more than enough, close encounters with fishing vessels of many nations, they are all united by their lack of seamanship, lack of imagination, complacancy and total disregard for col regs, harbour by-laws and common sense.

I still have nightmares about a Brixham Trawler in thick fog, and the Secilian'S.

However, I hope that no one suffered injury or worse in this encounter!

G

What do you expect? A "froggie" fishing ignoring the separation zones.

G

I do not know the details of this one, but twice in recent months I have seen a fishing vessel at night trawling the wrong way up a lane. It was a great mistake not to ban fishing from the traffic zones. It would have helped with conservation.

I believe it was the French who insisted that their fishermen should continue to fish there. One has to ask why they always get their way?

G

Once again Bill I agree with you

However

A Dutch trawler skipper has just been fined £8000 with £3000 costs for infringement of Col Regs in the Dover Straits.

Apparently he wasn't fishing at the time.

G

The closest I've ever come to being run down was by a fishing boat off Dieppe. I was plugging away in about f5 doing abt 3 knots into the sea when an enormous French fishing boat tore past (less than 50 yards away) doing more than twice that with no one in the wheelhouse. As they passed it became clear the entire crew was on the after deck preparing nets!

G

Why the French get their way: because they can sulk longer. nm

nm