Code 0 Furlers

pagoda

Visit site
This is a duplicate post from PBO in case some more knowledge is lurking here!

I've been recommended to look at the Facnor FX 4500 + and/or the Karver KF 5 endless line furlers (for a code 0)
There are a few comments here and there, does anybody have any comparative ideas?
I am familiar with standard gennaker handling- but not furlers for that style of sail.
Boat 42ft about 8 tons.
TIA

markhomer

Visit site
This is a duplicate post from PBO in case some more knowledge is lurking here!

I've been recommended to look at the Facnor FX 4500 + and/or the Karver KF 5 endless line furlers (for a code 0)
There are a few comments here and there, does anybody have any comparative ideas?
I am familiar with standard gennaker handling- but not furlers for that style of sail.
Boat 42ft about 8 tons.
TIA

All i can say as this is a racing section , remember if you intend to use a code zero on a racing yacht you must let your handicap/ rating office know , most code zeros dont satistfy the mid girth 75 % rule ( ie their mid girth has to be greater than 75% of foot length , which if met defines them as a spinnaker ) and are therefore the biggest " foresail " on the boat and handicap / rating will be adjusted accordingly .

There are " cheater " double luffed code zeros out there , ie one for measuring which makes it a spinnaker , but in use , luff tension creates another luff , the " max measured " one folds back and only purpose to get round 75 % rule , irc rating s are aware of this and request and it wont work .

Guess however you are really asking which is best of the two furlers you quote , karver my guess

Ingwe

Visit site
I have a Karver KF2 furler as well as a Facnor FD jib furler and am perfectly happy with both of them. On a cruising boat as long as they are sized correctly I don't think you will notice much difference as you are unlikely to be using them at very high loads.

The one tip I would give you is think very hard about what type of clip you want to use to attach the furler to the presumably short sprit as it is not easy to do - you generally have the end of the sail over one shoulder leaning over the pulpit and round the jib on the forestay and you somehow have to get the clip on the bottom of the furler to clip shut when you can't see it and you are being thrown around by waves and for the same reason it's useful to have a line on the release clip so that you can release it easier when you come to take it off.

bbg

Visit site
I switched to a Karver from something else. I couldn't believe how much better the Karver was.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
Lots of the JOG/RORC asymmetric boats use Code Zeros that rate as spinnakers. Ours uses a Karver furler that works well and is clipped to the tack block ring on the end of the bowsprit (which can be retracted to fit/remove it). The Karver comes with a locking pin so that it can't escape and unfurl accidentally while you are furling it in. However, this means that it only operates in one direction and since the furling line is a continuous loop, it's easy to forget which way to go or to just make a mistake. If you pull hard enough it will turn the wrong way but the lock pin will then bend and jam the furler and eventually shear off (£60 replacement). I have removed our (now bent) pin and it is perfectly fine to operate without it - easier in fact and it can be furled either direction.