Cockpit Griddle/BBQ

Benny1

Visit site
Right, if this was on the Yachttie forum, it would generate snide comments about Gin totiing powerboaters.

Situation:-

Almost new Fairline Targa 40. No generator, so has gas supply for oven and hob. Gas bottle locker is in the base of the cockpit bar unit. Immediately above this is a space where Fairline can fit an electric DeDeietrich griddle.

However, as we have no genny, this could only be used in a marina. We don't usually stay on board (hence no need for heating and genny), so not masses of use when we only really want to BBQ for lunch at anchor. If we got a genny it would only reall ybe for this, making it a v expensive BBQ/griddle!

Question is:-

Does anyone know of a gas griddle that could be fitted in the same space? Should not be too difficult as the gas supply is immediately below it.

Our dealer has no ideas and he says it would be unsafe, hence the elec BBQ they can supply. However, it is no more dangerous than the hob below, surely (prob even less so, as it is outdoors).

Anyone got any suggestions or toughts?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

I suspect that the issue is with keeping a gas griddle lit outdoors in the wind. Have you thought about adapting a domestic gas BBQ? As the 'coals' are synthetic, you would have no worries about dropping red hot crud on the gelcoat...

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
I think they are a ll a bit big, aren't they?

Not sure either myself or my father has even half the aptitude required to adapt a plug, never mind a BBQ. Not laziness, just totally inept at anthing practical.

An alternative could be to have one that could run off shorepower or batteries...or a worst case have to run the engines while you used it. It would only be for 20 mins or so and these new KAD 300's are very quiet and smooth, much better than the 42's we had before. Is this possible?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Volvo do a replacement alternator that chucks out 240V mains, so that might work. Not cheap though, but still probably cheaper than a genset.

<hr width=100% size=1>

TomIsitt

N/A
Visit site
MBY is testing out half a dozen on-board barbeques in the June issue (out on May 1st)...there should be something useful in that if you can wait that long. If not, phone the office in a week or two and ask Lester what he thinks.

Tom

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Yup. Just fit to one engine, and you can then use it as a genset. If the KAD300's are as quiet as you say, 20 minutes running gives you 20 mins of mains, and enough hot water for the washing up as well.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Not a clue, sorry. I've a feeling it's around a grand, but it does mean SWMBO can dry her hair while underway, too ;-)

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
Have you got one then? (an engine power adaptor thingy, as opposed to a wife)

SWMBO in this case will be my mother. If she's drying her hair it will take well over 20 mins. (Well, not in her eyes...I am sure they make women's watches tick slower).

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

No, but I looked at it in the catalogue thing. I have a small inverter for the very occasional mains usage when we don't have shorepower (mainly recharging things).

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Re: Good News/Bad News

Good news is here's the link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://accessorycatalogue.penta.volvo.se/main.asp?productNode=40032175&language=en>http://accessorycatalogue.penta.volvo.se/main.asp?productNode=40032175&language=en</A>

Bad news is it says not for KAD300, but I expect they will bring one out...

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
I had one of these dedietriech things on a targa. very flash too. Ace for making bacon sarnies up top in the morning. But, after not avery long time they go bang cos all the water gets innem, as they aren't marinised, they're just a barbecue for a kitchen. Then we made bacon sarnies downstairs, much easier as the bacon and stuf is in a pan which can be cleaned instead of splattered all over a sort of electric surface which never quite becomes as clean as it was when new.

Now, the gas thing is an idea, but will look blimmin horrid imho. Anyway, better to have a hotplate and cook properly with pans that you can throw away.

Safety wise, it will surely be les safe with gas in that area - there's a lid, right, and with a flame though, then that would be not too good - hence better of the back like some saily boats havem.

I think either do it all corrctly with lectric genny. Or, find an ornery barbcue and attach to the back somehow, and just chuck away all the crud, and hardly anything to go wrong too!

but switchc off the tender garsgae if you attach an arm to that rail on the back else when you lean on the switch it will wreck things.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
Hmm thanks for that.

The fact that fit non marinised equipment does not surprise me one bit. This is the firat boat we have had that has actually had a water resistant vhf, the sunseeker's one packed in after a month cos it was designed tol ive in a cabin, and they fit it to an open boat. Tigh arses. Fairline were no better. My friend's dad has a T37 he bought in 1998 I think and it had the same crap non-waterproof radio our Sunseeker came with, until he asked them to change it. Which they did, witha bit of a grumble.

Also on the Sunseeker, we had some serious promlems withthe upholstery. After half a season the pink dye from the foam had leached through to to surface of the vinyl, so it had pink blotches all over the place. There was no damage to the cushions and as they were virtually brand new should have been diff for water to get in. Speak to sunseeker and they said:-

"oh, that will be water ingress into the cushions"

"How has that got there?" said we

"oh, it will have been through the stitching holes"

"and?" says we

"that's why they have gone pink" say SS.

"hmm" says we..."and?"

"and?" says ss

"what are you doing to do about it?" says we

"well you have got the cushions wet, so it yr fault" says SS

"**!!**?!!**" says we..."what would you like us to do with the boat? Drive it up and down the M1 on a lorry?" says we..."it won't get so wet there, will it? Or should we keep it in the sea, where the cushions in an open cockpit boat might get water on them?"

"hmmm" says ss...

"hmmm" says we

"OK. We'll replace the lot" says ss

and to be fair they did it all within a week, sending a bod in a van all the way up to Pwllheli from Poole with some better quality foam and they did not turn pink again.

The Upholstery on the new Fairline (and new Sunseekrs) seems to be a lot better, but still a way off the quality of that provided by even relatively cheap US manufacturers. That on our old Formula was excellent...ant they used proper plastic mouldings at all stages. Shame the bigger boats are so pants on the design and layout fronts.

Gosh, I seem to have got a little carried away there, but we hit on one of my bugbear points.

Taanks for your advice on the DeD units. If we got a Genny and a griddle is there anyhting you can do to marinise it at all, or is it futile? I just know that genny+griddle will lead to heating and before you know it another £10k has gone. Oh, the joy of boating.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Well, i think ours went a bit busted cos it got some water onnit. When i say "got some water on it" I mean" we left the tap on and closed the whole unit, at which point the entire sink and griddle thing was full of water"

the second one I sprayed up loads with antidamp wassername around the switch.

oh, and that 240 v volvo thingy - you need to check the output, i bet. Also, at what revs will the engine need to run before you can get the griddle to work? I said HOW FAST AND LOUD DO YOU WANT THE ENGINE RUNNING cos it might need to be at a fair ole whack, dunno. Mind you, twill only be for a little while, spose.

What about some bricks and a blowtorch, much cheaper? Plonk the sausages or burger on the bricks, blowtorch them. Easy peasy, i bet.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Benny1

Visit site
Oh yes. Sounds familiar also.

The total lack of an overflow hole on any sink on any UK production boat. Have been caught out by this twice! Is there a reason for this, or is it just penny pinching again?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Got one in the galley sink, but that's a standard stainless thing you'd find anywhere. The heads sink is by Fairline, and, you guessed it, no overflow. I'd never even noticed before...

My beef is the way they mounted the shower control: any slamming makes the shower turn on, so we have to shut off the power to the water pump before getting underway.

<hr width=100% size=1>