Cobra Marine Radio - Turn Off No GPS Alarm?

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
I read the manual for my Cobra MR F57B E and there doesn't seem to be a way to disable the alarm it loudly emits every few minutes telling me it doesn't have a GPS signal.

Is there a way to disable it other than giving it what it wants?

Is there a really cheap and easy way to give it a GPS signal?

At the moment I intend to use paper charts and Navionics devices for navigation, not a chartplotter so at present I have no GPS device aboard I can couple to the radio to shut it up.

TY!

prv

Visit site
Old used GPS units often come up on ebay or, you could buy a new DSC radio with built in GPS for £150.

Or you could fit a brand new waterproof GPS mushroom with a modern highly sensitive uBlox chip with no lurking date bugs, for £23 delivered, which is less than most eBay sellers want for last century's old Garmin and Magellan units.

No-brainer, really.

Pete

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Or you could fit a brand new waterproof GPS mushroom with a modern highly sensitive uBlox chip with no lurking date bugs, for £23 delivered, which is less than most eBay sellers want for last century's old Garmin and Magellan units.

No-brainer, really.

Pete

No brainer for me would be the new radio to avoid the work of removing linings and trims plus another deck fitting to feed the wire, getting lazy in my old age:) I installed a new Cobra VHF with GPS last winter after the old one's mike cable degraded in the sun.

jwilson

Visit site
No brainer for me would be the new radio to avoid the work of removing linings and trims plus another deck fitting to feed the wire, getting lazy in my old age:) I installed a new Cobra VHF with GPS last winter after the old one's mike cable degraded in the sun.

No need to run a long wire or deck glands to an external mushroom: just fit it somewhere convenient inside a locker near the VHF, or behind the instrument panel where the VHF is already. On GRP boats almost always works perfectly inside.

Kivu G

Visit site

No-brainer, really.

Pete
Pete - can you point me in the direction of where to buy this please? Sounds perfect. Thanks

Alfie168

Visit site
Pete - can you point me in the direction of where to buy this please? Sounds perfect. Thanks

If you just go onto ebay and type "GPS mushroom" they will magically appear...like mushrooms and might indeed be an answer for me too as my chartplotter is simple and does not have outputs. Thanks prv. Also type in GPS Antenna under boat parts then filter lowest cost +p &p and the cheapies come up with various connectors or bare wires.

Last edited:

ithet

Visit site
Nowerdays it seems a pointless excericse to run a cable to an external gps antenna/receiver when the modern ones work fine inside a GPS superstructure.