COBB failure to BBQ

PRH

Visit site
Tried the COBB for a BBQ yesterday and it failed to get hot enough with the lid off......

Was using the Cobblestone as recommended on here (I can't find the thread now). Not the official Cobb one though.

Did a search and found plenty of people saying the same sort of thing on here: (if the link works....

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/chatter/sear...it=Start+Search

The best thing was that we had come back to the marina and two strangers offered to lend me an electric and a gas BBQ... Restores your faith in humanity.

So the food got cooked and a great time was had by all.

Did use the wok with the lid on to cook the bits from the kebabs and that worked fine.

Any comments on the BBQ problem.

Malcb

www.virgo-owners.org
I always use a griddle plate and heat it up with the lid on for alleast 20 mins after the fire lighter flames have died down. Then I find no trouble in cooking.

Nautorius

Visit site
Well I use Tesco Heatbricks and they are great. OK, Fistly put plenty of firelighters below the charcoal. Then leave the Griddle pan off for a min of 20 mins until charcoal turning grey. Then put on lid and leave for 20 mins. Then cook! I always do it with the lid on and it works great. Infact Cobbing today and it is 30 degrees here!

Paul /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
I've got to say that I have been using a Cobb for over three years now and never had a problem, in fact the first full roast dinner we had on board was done on the Cobb and not our gas cooker. Always let it heat up with the dome on after the coals/bricks have caught and the flames died down.

studgies

www.marvinmarine.co.uk
The only time we have ever had a prolem is when the other half was too impatient and did not wait for the charcoal to properly go grey. The COBB would just not get hot enough till I noticed, 20 mins later it was working properly as usual.

I did not know there were non COBB cobblestones, maybe that was your issue, we always use the official ones of heat beads, both with great success.

Sneds

Visit site
We used our new one last night for the first time, worked fine, we were very impressed.
After getting over the shock of paying over £100 for a BBQ I would recomend to anyone.
We lit ours on the bathing platform and when the smoke had died down mover it into the aft oart of the cockpit (boat is a 28 ft sports cruiser) is it ok to use the cobb like this?

bobgarrett

Visit site
We also have used the Cobb and its great esp and even in the cockpit but always with the lid on.
We also use the Cobb nuts (coconut apparantly) and they work well.
Only gripe we have is that ours - and friends' - knob on the top is melting. This seems to be a problem with more recent Cobbs. We have emailed Cobb but no reply.

graemeknox

Visit site
8 decent charcoal bricquettes in the basket, 2 firelighters broken in two underneath, and you're rolling. Contrary to the image we tend to have of an open bbq being tended constantly, you should always close the lid on a barbecue when you're using it (unless it doesn't have one!) as it will cook faster and better and the food will be moister. Worth referring to instructions for Weber barbecues online and applying the same science - if only THEY made a boat bbq!

Richie

Visit site
Tesco briquettes do the job for me, never tired the official ones. Do have to wait about 30 mins before they're fully grey and stop smoking before we start cooking

PRH

Visit site
Well as the thread seems to have been resurected thought it worth reporting back that the official Cobblestones work a treat though I do use it with the lid on these days and also that you can get them from Nauticalia, no association etc etc

Problem may have been that I was trying to do kebabs and the sticks were too long so had to have the lid off - you live and learn