Coastguard on standby please - another sea trial..

BarryD

Visit site
Please wish us luck. Undaunted by our continuing "bad luck charm" for boats, we are going on another sea trial this weekend. I've got the points you all kindly raised from my previous posting on sea trials. So we will have to see...

The boat is a 27' Rinker, single engine recently rebuilt 5.7L. It all sounds in good condition but the trial will tell, and this time the owner will be with us.

Barry D.

BarryD

Visit site
Essex / Water ingress

LJS - The exhaust manifolds corroded and water ingressed, rather than rebuilding a ten year old engine the owner bought a short engine from the US and had it proffessionally installed, with all the head gear being replaced as required. Unit is still under warrenty and running in.

Barry D.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by BarryD on Wed Oct 10 11:39:00 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Flimsy build

I hadn't thought of that - if it seems too flimsy then it's back up the money trail we go. Of course with my luck...

Barry D.

G

Re: Flimsy build = good

Less to break. Less weight to use up petrol. Easier to float. Less mass and hence cheaper?

G

Looks sleeeek

Nice looking boat, looks perfect for the MV2 name too. I don't know anything about them, but then that's never stopped anyone else posting opinions here before. The less we know, the stronger and more vehement our opinion?

Good luck with the breakdown oops sorry sea, trial.

Don't know if you've covered this before, but where are you planning to keep this infamous boat once you find it?

Will there be an engine main dealer nearby? With your track record Barry, I'd be a bit wary of buying a boat where the nearest spares outlet is in the US though.

Maybe stick to Volvo's? Every port and harbour's got a VP dealer. You can recognise them easy, they're the ones driving the mercs and jags. They wouldn't be seen dead in a volvo would they?

BarryD

Visit site
Trial completed....

Hi,

What a smashing day, blue sky, sunshine, flat seas and a V8 bellowing beneath my feet. Like he was going to have to work hard to sell it..... Everything worked all the switches did something, and I even worked out how to balance the boat on its trim tabs etc.. it' a bit smaller below than the Sunfury, but the mid cabin is bigger and has a decent window but otherwise overall for a first boat it seems a nice size and for a single engine it handled really well. The current owner has had boats for 20 years and it seems well looked after.

I guess the clincher was riding at 3,900 RPM, indicating 30MPH and watching his pals Sunfury with twin Volvos fall away astern.

So subject to surveys and register check I shall be "feet-wet" in a couple of weeks. Another V8 to add to my stable - what fun. SWMBO is now adamant I must sell the Stag ('72, MK1, BRG, condition 2/1 £5,000) - any takers?

I shall need some recomendations from the board and I'll use the search function but forgive me if I repeat some of the old questions. I don't really want to lift it out, but keep it in commission through winter. It's recently been anti-fouled etc.. but I will need to arrange for the interior to be tidied - put our stamp on the boat.

Where to keep her - well our choice would be Solent area - Northerny or Chichester but I might take the existing mooring on if the marina will allow it. It's less than £2K per annum which seems pretty good - and it's closer so we could get out to play easier.

Happy days ahead....

Barry D.

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Trial completed....

Duncan - Love? Not sure about that, allthough goodbye to my Stag is a suprise. I'm keeping the existing mooring quiet until I've done the deal. I don't want the place swamped 'cos its cheap!

Barry D.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Party Time!!!

Aha at long last a positive result, a boat returned in one piece. Now you need to set the date and time for the DFLight payback booze cruise/boat warming party. I'll bring the fridge (remember that?) and some booze to go in it, all we need to know is when and where!!!

G

Re: Party Time!!!

Whehee the lads dun well eh. A whole boat test and not broke it. Brill.

So yes, let's know when the launching ceremony is for MV2 and we'll all turn up and have a go. jfm'll fill it up with fuel, ljs has got the fridge, I've got 3/4 of a case of manky cab sauv that no-one else can stand, haydn'll look thoughtfully at the engine and g'box and knowingly shake his head, pauline and the first class shit can do the navigation to calais, byron will tell you about mooring on the Thames, kevl will look and say "ah but it's not as good as a manwegian binliner" and matt can bring the cutlery and go err, ummm, but, well, doh.

Who's going to bring the MV2 decals?

Who else can do what?

Sounds like the start of a good party.

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Party Time!!! - You\'re all nutters!

Ok, there will be a party - but remember it is only a titchy 28' boat and by the time I take ownership it will be November. If all you lot get on it it will be sunk at the moorings - and SWMBO will be "upset". Seen my wife make toast? (for those Basil Fawlty fans).

Commissioning survey this AM, I will keep the board "thrilled" or "bored stupid" with the progress...

Thanks all.

Barry D.