Clyde Cruising

G

Hi Richard,I sail a Westerly Fulmar,Nitebird, out of Rhu.You do not give name of your boat so we do not know who to look out for! My order of priority would be,

1.TARBERT,Loch Fyne(harbour with pontoons) 2.CALADH HARBOUR(lunch-time anchorage) 3.ROTHESAY(harbour with costly pontoons) 4.LARGS(marina with pleasant walk into Largs) 5.LOCH GAIR(secluded and protected overnight anchorage) 6.LOCH RANZA(Arran picturesque anchorage) Further afield,the options are endless but Crinan canal, Oban and Tobermory take a lot of beating. Hope this is helpfull. Pleasant sailing!

G

All this positive stuff about the Clyde. HU! What short memories! WHAT ABOUT THE MIDGES?? Are you sure you want to chance them. Suppose so! Well welcome to the West of Scotland. Hope you and your family have a great time and the dog. Lots of wonderful places to go I am sure that you will soon find your favourite.

G

Having been relocated (courtesy of my job) from Essex to Glasgow, my boat is following in a couple of weeks and will be based in Rhu marina. I sail with my wife, 2 daughters (13 and 15) and a dog.

Although we shall miss the East Coast sailing, we are looking forward to the change which promises to be a good one. It is important that we start with some good experiences, so could any Scotland based Scuttlebutters give me some recommendations regarding the first three or four weekend cruises which will leave my wife and daughters thinking it was a good move.

Any other tips regarding making the best of West Scotland sailing would be appreciated.

G

You\'ll probably win the lottery next!

What a lucky move. In almost any direction you have some of the best cruising grounds in Europe, within a day sail, and at the best time of the year. Within the Clyde there are almost no tides, idyllic anchorages, superb scenery, vast numbers of destinations to suit all weathers and very limited numbers of other boats.

Look at, in no particular order, Campbelltown, Lamlash, Ardrishaig, West Loch Tarbert, Loch Gair, Kyles of Bute. Many others that I've never had time to do. Closer to you, I like Rothesay and, if you want some tide, Portpatrick. For longer cruises you have just about the ultimate to the north of you, through the Crinan or round the Mull. So many possibilities. Buy the pilots and drool!

(Not Scottish based, but many very happy memories)

G

The Clyde is wonderful. One warning though. Be wary of the pontoons in Rothesay. Those inside the harbour are fine. Those behind the ferry berth (ie to starboard from the sea) are dangerous. The wash from the ferry as he puts his engine in reverse to stop is dangerous. Response from the crew when told of damage to boats and injury to myself "tough sh*t"

G

Re: You\'ll probably win the lottery next!

Vyv,

Thanks for this. I think I'll need to win it to pay for all the extra Musto layers I'm going to need - it's mid April and its freezing! Mind you, a big win would see me sailing somwhere warmer than the Clyde.

It sounds as though we are going to have a great season; fabulous scenery and deep clear water here, even if it is freezing cold!

G

Thanks Stewart - that's very helpful.

We are in Aldebaran, a Sun Odyssey 36 which I bought and sailed back from southern Brittany to the East Coast last April. If I'd know what was going to happen I would have just kept going North up the Irish sea. She's doing the trip on the back of a lorry this time (just didn't have the time to sail round) and due to arrive on 26 April.

Will look out for you in Nitebird.

G

I too changed from The East Coast ( Maldon) to the Clyde. Your priorities should be....Spray Hood, Heating, Good warm foalies, and some suntan lotion. You will never look back, I am sure.

G

Thanks Stewart - that's very helpful.

We are in Aldebaran, a Sun Odyssey 36 which I bought and sailed back from southern Brittany to the East Coast last April. If I'd know what was going to happen I would have just kept going North up the Irish sea. She's doing the trip on the back of a lorry this time (just didn't have the time to sail round) and due to arrive on 26 April.

Will look out for you in Nitebird.

G

Clyde and beyond

Richard,

Invest in a copy of 'The Scottish Islands' by Hamish Haswel-Smith. This is one of the best cruising books I have read, the title says it all. Also Ireland is not to far away for a holiday cruise if you ever manage to see all the west coast has to offer...

Wully.

G

Ardentinny Hotel

very handy hotel moorings - free, food and drink available, also try Caladh harbour - Kyles of Bute, you must buy the sailing directions for the area to find all these little anchorages - CCC give discount on sailing directions if you join the club .. also enquire about Fairlie sailing club has a big membership but low sub ... they have family outings/weekend rallies etc

G

This is the best move you'll ever make. I'm in my second season at Rhu and what previous correspondents say is all true with the exception of it being colder than the East Coast. It is warmer - the Gulf Stream gives a micro climate that the North Sea can only dream about!

When it's cold in Rhu it is generally bl--dy freezing elsewhere. Good luck, also try the West Coast pilots by Martin Lawrence.

Fergus Colman