Club Cruiser Purchase Suggestions

ncounties

Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a member of a sailing club in Ireland, and we are currently looking at purchasing a new cruising keelboat for the club. We have the following requirements:
Length - pref. 37-39ft
Three Cabins
Single Helm
Price - €90-110k

Some initial thoughts were an Oceanis 37 (my initial preference), Sun Odyssey 37, Bavaria 36.

But would welcome some suggestions of other relatively modern keelboats, that offer the comforts of the above, but would be sail relatively well in most conditions, and capable of a decent speed.

Best,

NCounties

ncounties

Visit site
New to us. The club already has a First 31.7 and a Sun Odyssey 35 so our Skippers are used to single helms. We want to reduce the requirement for them to have to get used to twin helms and the associated knocks and bumps that may result during that learning curve...

Tranona

Visit site
It will take one session to "change" - it really is no different having 2 wheels. You only use one at a time and they do exactly the same thing as a single wheel. I would have real concerns about the ability of your skippers if they were unable to adjust! What you gain is usually more cockpit space which may well be a benefit if you sail them with large crews as well as potentially wider choice.

However your biggest challenge will be actually finding anything as the UK market is out for you so you will be restricted to what is already in the EU.

BTW add the Hanse 370 to your list as well as a mid 2000s Bavaria 37

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
It will take one session to "change" - it really is no different having 2 wheels. You only use one at a time and they do exactly the same thing as a single wheel. I would have real concerns about the ability of your skippers if they were unable to adjust! What you gain is usually more cockpit space which may well be a benefit if you sail them with large crews as well as potentially wider choice.

However your biggest challenge will be actually finding anything as the UK market is out for you so you will be restricted to what is already in the EU.

BTW add the Hanse 370 to your list as well as a mid 2000s Bavaria 37
Totally agree. My own experience is that the two wheel setup is materially better in every way bar one, that being the reach to the throttle and gears from the remote wheel.

ylop

Visit site
Are these not classic ex med charter boats?

Are NI boats open to ROI buyers?

Tranona

Visit site
Are these not classic ex med charter boats?

Are NI boats open to ROI buyers?
Yes to the first but that budget won't get a recent ex charter boat after VAT is paid and older, say 15 years old which will be in budget will likely be very tired by now. Biggest negative would be that most are based in the eastern Med or possibly Spain so will cost to bring back up north although that might make a good club cruise. Really depends on how much effort the club is willing to put in to organise such a purchase.

Not entirely sure about the second point as there still seems confusion. However maybe not to many of the target boats available in NI.