Clovelly Picarooner

winch2

Visit site
Hi all,
What a great forum...wish we'd found it earlier. Anyway first post is a cheeky one I'm afraid. We're on the lookout for a Clovely Picarooner. All info most gratefully received .
Thanks Ian /Louise

winch2

Visit site
Google says Apollo duck one for sale in bosham west sussex
Thank you both for those very quick replies. This is the initial image that has won us overwinnow.jpg......That classic Spanish high freeboard and curved prow and transom shape and now after doing some research the fact they were Spanish and the history of how they ended up on the shores of the UK we find very appealing....

Have checked Apollo Duck but its not showing...pity as we're based in Chichester.

winch2

Visit site
Extend your search. A chum thought about buying one and I went on the test sail. It's an awful boat, cuts the water like a brick through treacle. Corners like a dog on lino.
Haha...grew up in the 60's sailing a massive old 18ft family clinker tender which dad found dumped on a beach, a right old Tortoise it was but beautiful and my partners Beach Pea also doesn't understand the term..."ready about"! Will it go thru the wind? Nope. So it's all about the look and taking it slow from now on. Videos we've seen paint a pleasant picture really.

DownWest

Visit site
What was that about learning from History?
There are a lot of quite good 'classic' boats about, so given the bad review on the Picarooner, it might be a good idea to look around more....

Wansworth

Visit site
My father bought a 15foot lug rigged Thames dinghy with a solid three foot bowsprit must be back in 1956 which in 1964 had a metamorphosis into a boat for sea sailing.”Dora” lasted till 1967 when she was mortally damaged on the pier at Littlehampton.A slow tub that gave me hours of fun and introduced meto boat maintenance ?

DownWest

Visit site
My father bought a 15foot lug rigged Thames dinghy with a solid three foot bowsprit must be back in 1956 which in 1964 had a metamorphosis into a boat for sea sailing.”Dora” lasted till 1967 when she was mortally damaged on the pier at Littlehampton.A slow tub that gave me hours of fun and introduced meto boat maintenance ?
Slightly different here.. I was bought up on light performance boats. I was allowed out on the 12ft er at 6 yrs, if the wind was light..to the horror of my mother.. Then we young-uns had a Cadet on the Lee, which I sailed after primary school in the evenings. ( clearly they were all sunny and dry..as one remembers all those summers back then..)
Father then designed a series of light cruisers, so crewing duties were mandatory and frequent in races to promote the 'brand'.
I think my first sail was out of Gravesend circa 1950 in a Fury. That was an ally 12 ft with an unsupported mast and mainsail. A few were sold, IIRR a bunch to the Oxford sailing club. The Korean war put a stop to that as aluminium was unobtainable .Hence the move to ply construction.
Very interesting times.

Edit: Oops, digressed a bit from old good looking boats with dubious handling :)

winch2

Visit site
What to make eh? ..Does seem the ole Picaroo stirs the blood around here....Thought the Anglo Spanish war ended in the early 19th century. Ok a bit facetious I know but theres a couple of em on Ytube clattering along quite nicely, and that high freeboard just wont go away.

Wansworth

Visit site
I came late to sailing at 15 out of Littlehampton…….till father in one of his failed money making schemes became an agent for the mini sail and was roped into sailing off the beach to create interest .It was quite popular as I recall national event near Bognor

Wansworth

Visit site
What to make eh? ..Does seem the ole Picaroo stirs the blood around here....Thought the Anglo Spanish war ended in the early 19th century. Ok a bit facetious I know but theres a couple of em on Ytube clattering along quite nicely, and that high freeboard just wont go away.
Interested in its Spanish roots,any info

winch2

Visit site
You need to find one and try it. Only then will it appeal to your longing for cranky handling or lead to the sunny uplands...

Well, knowing my quirky sailing history and currently risking all everytime we go out in my partners Beach Pea (unstable, wont tack..haha) Ive gotta feeling satisfaction may ensue. What do you sail?

winch2

Visit site
Interested in its Spanish roots,any info

Well the legend is, and I've only gleaned this in the past couple days, that they were the Spanish Armardas standard ships boat/tender and when they all foundered in the Irish Sea these little boats drifted towards the UK and Cornwall in particular. Picaroooner kinda translates as 'Sea Robber'. I do like my history.....Im sure there are others here who know way more about this fascinating story. Cant help thinking there's a grain of truth in it maybe.

DownWest

Visit site
Well, knowing my quirky sailing history and currently risking all everytime we go out in my partners Beach Pea (unstable, wont tack..haha) Ive gotta feeling satisfaction may ensue. What do you sail?
So, I built an Oughtred Whilley Tern in '07. Light, lots of sail and very rewarding. She gets less use now, with creaking bones, etc. Nearly finished, in the shed, is a Bolger Micro. Much modded, but has 200kg in the keel to avoid the need to move fast (the bones etc..).
Then, also a Kelt 6.20 , helping out a friend. We are now partners in that one.

winch2

Visit site
Oughtred Whilley Tern in '07. Light, lots of sail and very rewarding
Impressive and interesting to hear from someone who enjoys that style of hull which is very similiar to our Hylan Beach Pea...Light, quick, but sadly just so uncomfortable in anything but a whisper, you've only got to sneeze and it'll go over....very unstable and they used them for lobster potting, the mind boggles..

Wansworth

Visit site
Well the legend is, and I've only gleaned this in the past couple days, that they were the Spanish Armardas standard ships boat/tender and when they all foundered in the Irish Sea these little boats drifted towards the UK and Cornwall in particular. Picaroooner kinda translates as 'Sea Robber'. I do like my history.....Im sure there are others here who know way more about this fascinating story. Cant help thinking there's a grain of truth in it maybe.
Certainly a great deal of investigation.The Armarda refitted and set sail from Galician ports so probably carried a few Galician tenders probably of unknown parentage.The small boats here in Galicia are in the main like dories but there were a round bottomed small boats but whether there is a lineage I don’t know.