Clipper wind System

jasp

Visit site
Just received to day my clipper wind system, need to know what size hole I need to drill into the mast, and does it require a grommet for the cable, instruction dont say, and bag of bits have no grommet. Cable 5mm diam, with 20mm din plug on end

mikejames

www.hamble.demon.co.uk
My first reaction : It might not last long enough to need a grommet. AFAIR i didnt bother and the wire lasted out the 3 seasons or so before the spinner fell off.

On the way to complete failure I modified my masthead unit to use a small waterproof connector pair at the masthead, made the cable come out above the bend in the bracket of the masthead unit so a monkey at the masthead could remove it and it could come down for repair without unthreading the wire.

Aside from that, use a hole big enough for the wire + grommet . Measure off the length of cable down the mast and cut the wire to leave enough for a tail from near the mast foot. The 20+mm DIN plug hole is too big really.

Then the boatyard doesnt have to take wirecutters to it when the mast is unstepped.

Then dependent on mast fitting go through a cable gland at deck level for deck stepped mast or out below deck for keel stepped. Use 6 pin Buccaneer plug/socket to rejoin cables.

The worst bit is getting the cable out of the mast foot. Lots of fiddling with coathangers and weighted strings hanging from mast head if its stepped or working out ways to pull the wire through if you dont already have a mouse line with the mast unstepped.

jasp

Visit site
This unit now come with a plug connector at the mast head unit. Thanks for the input on the cable gland at the deck level. Will have to nip out to purchase one.

Landale

Visit site
tried it - I think the new head lasted a couple of months - bit the bullet and went Tac Tick - no problems since.

PIGLETSDREAM

Visit site
5 years and still spinning so just to add some balance. Previous boat 4 years before a seagull sat on it. I find NASA kit excellent, back up very friendly and bits if you need at a good price. Tic Tac or Tac Tick is certainly the way forward, but not until they break down completely.

What I really want is a paddless wheel log

charles_reed

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

What I really want is a paddless wheel log

[/ QUOTE ]

NASA's first product was a Doppler log, phone 'em and ask if they've any left.

I had one on my 1st boat in 1972, great bit of kit till the case rusted.

I've mounted my NASA unit, nice and low down so it's easy to replace the anenometer cups.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
A pointless bit of kit, if you have a GPS, you already know how fast you're going! The GPS repeater with a dozen more features is about £10 more /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

The real benefit of a log is to compare boat speed with through the water speed to show the strength of the tide, something a GPS can't do. But as the paddlewheel on ours stopped every few weeks (or rather gradually slowed up - even worse) we took it off and filled the hole.