Clearing water weed

londonpiper

Visit site
At our little sailing club on the upper reaches of the Thames, the water weed has been getting worse over the last couple of years, to the point that it's starting to seriously interfere with our sailing. Does anyone have any ideas about how it can be tackled?

sarabande

Visit site
what species ? I suspect it's due to eutrophication (those beastly farmers, and sewage plants/boat WCs, pouring more and more nutrients into the river) plus reduced flows.

Short of introducing a weed-eating fish such as tilapia (my word, Defra will have fun with that :) ) you might wish to form an action group with other clubs, fishing associations, and (?) Thames Water and local government, as if there is excess growth, the impact on all of those can be wide ranging.

Start with Thames Water.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
At our little sailing club on the upper reaches of the Thames, the water weed has been getting worse over the last couple of years, to the point that it's starting to seriously interfere with our sailing. Does anyone have any ideas about how it can be tackled?
Have you approached the EA about this? Would be a logical first step if it is preventing you from being able to use the navigation satisfactorily.

Visit site
what species ? I suspect it's due to eutrophication (those beastly farmers, and sewage plants/boat WCs, pouring more and more nutrients into the river) plus reduced flows.

Short of introducing a weed-eating fish such as tilapia (my word, Defra will have fun with that :) ) you might wish to form an action group with other clubs, fishing associations, and (?) Thames Water and local government, as if there is excess growth, the impact on all of those can be wide ranging.

Start with Thames Water.
Talapia fish i ate some of that on a job, the client was cooking it nice it was.

http://www.land-water.co.uk/the-shed/files/Truxor-Amphib-5.jpg

Last edited: