clearcraft oil lamp, oil/fuel. IS the smoke toxic from it like the raw fluid?

doug748

Visit site
It should be borne in mind that most of the health studies of problems associated with lamps are based on their use in developing countries where these items are used daily for lighting as well as cooking.

This is a common type of locally produced, crude kerosene lamp:

1601394090031.png
energypedia.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I've been collecting, repairing and using oil lamps for over 50 years. He has lamp oil designed for a specific type of burner, which uses a particular type of round wick. Flat wick burners are designed to burn paraffin, not lamp oil. You can pay £31 for 16 litres of the fuel they are designed to burn, or anything between £3 and £12 a litre for an oil they aren't designed to burn. It's his and your choice.

yep and since i have never ever heard such claims before and frankly cannot for the life of me see any possible reason for it being an issue i shall merrily continue using lamp oil sold for use in wick lamps, which nowhere i can find does it specify that it's only suitable for "x and not y" in my now small collection as ive been doing without any issues for decades

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Further ...

I've been using Bartoline Clear Lamp Oil for as long as i can remember (i think the last time i used paraffin was aboard a working narrowboat that i didn't own)

I've just checked on the Bartoline website and it clearly states it is suitable for use in all wick lamps, traditional and modern, and indoors or outdoors

Our lamps on board consist of two with flat wicks and one with a round wick. My reduced lamp collection now stored with my brother's pressure lamp collection has a mix of flat and round wicks

I have never noticed any difference between the performance and durability of flat versus round wicks whether used with paraffin or lamp oil. I do notice the absence of the paraffin fumes and the more significant absence of soot

I'd be most interested to hear of a credible reason or reasons why lamp oil is not suitable for flat wicks!

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Open fires are unlikely to affect people in the room where the fire is located, but the smoke ejected outside is the killer. I was in London in the 1950s with smogs.

I'd like evidence that open fires cause respiratory illness inside the house. And what do you mean by "acceptable" - only giving 50% of oil lamp users damage to their lungs ? The use of oil lamps in a confined space is foolish beyond belief, and you are using the excuse of "pleasant" as a justification for a high risk activity with high consequences. Your explanations are not consistent or credible.
This might fit the bill....

Wood smoke exposure and risk of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease

Wood smoke linked to increase in COPD in Spain.

Max Campbell

Visit site
Bird brand do good quality paraffin, and meths for spirit burners, too, both low smell compared to rougher competitors.

Used their paraffin in flat wick hurricane lamps regularly, in a very small cabin, with no unbearable side effects. We did have a CO alarm. Mainly alive because I never drank the stuff - usually found enough rum.

Sea-Fever

Visit site
Open fires are unlikely to affect people in the room where the fire is located, but the smoke ejected outside is the killer. I was in London in the 1950s with smogs.

I'd like evidence that open fires cause respiratory illness inside the house. And what do you mean by "acceptable" - only giving 50% of oil lamp users damage to their lungs ? The use of oil lamps in a confined space is foolish beyond belief, and you are using the excuse of "pleasant" as a justification for a high risk activity with high consequences. Your explanations are not consistent or credible.
I don't disagree that there might be health risks I just dont agree with your assessment of the size of the risk.

I would call putting a loaded gun to your head and pulling the trigger as "foolish beyond belief" because I think you would die.

I do not think you are "foolish beyond belief" if you sit with an oil lamp for a bit in a ventilated boat once in a blue moon. I have done that and I report no ill effects at this time. It appears others have done this and are not reporting terrible side effects.

My suggestion is that the risks are somewhat similar to those associated to open fires burning wood or coal....I.e. it's not good for you but acceptable in the common use circumstance.

Perhaps I and lots of others and all the shops that sell these lamps and all the fuel manufacturers and all those in the past who have sat next to an oil lamp have been in the dark. Pun intended :)

Last edited:

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
had this reply off clearcraft-

Hi

The warnings about ingestion are only relevant if you drink the fluid, and really only pertinent if you are under 3 years old.
The by products of combustion of lamp oil are water and CO2 and therefore harmless.

If you have the wick too high then it is possible to get smoke, caused by incomplete combustion and this should be avoided because it makes your lamp dirty!

I hope this helps and allay any concerns you may have

Best regards
--
Mike
Clearcraft

i mainly got the lamp for warming up the cabin on colder nights as i have no other sources of heat, except the gas stove, and thought it looks cosey. if only FireFly green and safe fuel was available in the UK.

andygc

Visit site
I've been using Bartoline Clear Lamp Oil for as long as i can remember (i think the last time i used paraffin was aboard a working narrowboat that i didn't own)
The last time you used paraffin was the last time you lit up some Bartoline Clear Lamp Oil. It's a highly refined, low sulphur paraffin.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
The last time you used paraffin was the last time you lit up some Bartoline Clear Lamp Oil. It's a highly refined, low sulphur paraffin.

In gross terms indeed it is (near enough, if you want to get technical I'll consult my uncle and blind us all, myself included :), with science!). But it is not the product sold as paraffin

And what, indeed, is the lamp oil the OP is using if it is not a similar product?

And why is it unsuitable for flat wicks?