cleaning topsides

G

Please, does anybody know where I can get a reasonably priced polishing machine for cleaning the topsides of my boat?
The machine I am looking for is similar to an angle grinder but runs at about 2000 rpm (instead of the 11000 rpm of the angle grinder).
Angle grinders are available for less than £20, but are far too fast.
The polishing machines, sold for professional use, that I have been offered are £150, which is a bit costly for what I hope will be a one-off job.
p.s. it's the dirty (oil stained?) waterline problem again. Y10 worked like magic until two years ago. Now it does nothing, so I think a bit of compounding is needed. T cut takes for ever so I am thinking of G3 and the machine to do the work, followed by wax polish or similar. Does anybody know what works well for this?
Thanks for any info.

castaway

uk.groups.yahoo.com
I once had a boat with faded dark topsides and I had to polish them each spring; so I went through this shall I buy exercise each year. I the end I always just hired the machine ( big slow angle grinder thing) and @ approx 8 pounds a day for a tool one hardly ever uses that was the best bet.. In fact Im just about to go out and do the same. Nick

Sirus

Visit site
Got one from machine mart with a sponge mop for cutting compound and also sheepskin for buffing it is a sayter and cost £90 pounds.
Email me if you would like any more details or if you are on the thames you can try my one.

coliholic

Visit site
I bought one from a motor factors for about £120 and it's OK but heavy. A tip for doing the hull sides that someone here suggested, is to run a rope around it over a stanchion with a plastic water container tied to the end as a counterweight to balance the machine, 'cos it does get VERY heavy. Works well.

I use a foam head and Farecla G3 compund, but make sure you keep it damp. Just keep spraying the area with water to keep the G3 moving.

I'm in Cambridgeshire and you're welcome to borrow mine for a few days if you want to collect and return to me. PM if interested.

johnmuir

Visit site
B & Q, the warehouse variety, were selling a reasonable looking machine as special offer. Can 't remember price but it caught my eye as it was cheap.

Avocet

Visit site
I bought a half share in a Rupes car buffer second hand (£50) and I share it with a colleague who also has a boat. It works superbly when used with Farecla G3 and a damp buffing mop. You could have a look through "Loot" in the Industrial tools section for an automotive paint shop buffer (there are other brands besides Rupes) and see if you can get a bargain. Failing that, a hire shop should do it. They are very heavy but if you still have the mast up, I find a long length of shock cord tied to a halyard works very well. Tie the other end to the buffer and hoist the halyard until it just takes most of the weight.