Cleaning Sails

G

I guess this is probably an old question but here goes. My sails have got rust marks all over them, how or indeed can I clean these off?

Also the Piston Hanks have gone green on me, any hints on cleaning these? I would like to add none of this was my fault they came like that.

Tony

G

Tony, the rust marks can be removed by using oxalic acid.
(I cant help with a source because I got mine from a friendly lab tech at work.) Mix two table spoons with a pint of warm water and wet quite well, leave for an hour or so and rinse well. keep up the treatment until you are satisfied with the results. As for the hanks , I like the old green sea worn look, so , as long as the piston works and is well luricated I dont mind. Good luck , David.

steveh

Visit site
Spread the sails out in the garden and apply lemon juice to the stains and leave in the sun. A good long soak in Biotex will them bring them up nice and clean.

robp

Visit site
A posting on here or S/B couple of months ago described using Bio Tex dissolved in warm water and put in a wheely bin. He then topped up with water and soaked the sails overnight I think. Said the results were very good. You might want to spot clean the stains first though.