Cleaning polycarbonate(Lexan) windows

G

After about 6 years in the tropics, my doghouse windows are becoming difficult to see through. There are two problems. Crazing that I think comes from the UV, but is currently at a stage of being acceptable, and secondly patches of surface cloudiness.

A friend on a nearbye boat has similar problems with Lexan, his windows that are currently like frosted glass.

I've tried cleaning the surface cloudiness with toothpaste and water , BUT this requires a great deal of elbow grease, and the results are not that wonderful or long lasting.

The cost of new Lexan is VERY high to my pocket, but at a pinch new Acrylic could be considered. However, past experience has shown that Acrylic too is not that good in a marine situation long term in the tropics.

I suspect the problem is 'acid rain' as a windows that have little rain falling on them are not cloudy, and I understand Lexan does not like an acid environment plus of course the UV.

Any suggestions as to how I can clean the windows EASILY, or are there any other thoughts out there on the subject?

I was hoping originally that Lexan would be better than acrylic, I am learning that the difference in results is marginal, BUT Lexan is VERY MUCH MORE expensive.

Robin2

Visit site
In Ireland (which may not be much comfort to you) polycarbonate is not much more expensive than acrylic. However I found that polycarbonate was very easy to cut with my jigsaw whereas acrylic chips and cracks very easily.

Gordonmc

Visit site
I had similar problems with (6) deadlights of various sizes. Nothing would bring these back from terminal crazing. After reading up on all the horror stories of how difficult cutting acrylic was I found some off-cuts of polycarbonate in a local glazier and got about three times as much as I needed for about £30. Cutting was a doddle using a slow jigsaw. Drilling oversize screw holes the same.
Heeding warnings about using solvent based bedding mastic I used marine silicone. A very satisfying job for a tenth of the cost of having a boatyard make up new deadlights with no fitting.
It may be of interest that I have used UV protective film of the sort used on office windows on one light on each side to see if that gives any protection. Time will tell.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Just a thought, Lexan is around 20 times stronger and if broken does not leave sharp jagged edges, this no doubt contributes to the cost. Perhaps you should also contact you insurers. And yes a UV coating does help to slow down the damage.

Avagoodweekend Old Salt Oz………..