Cleaning mooring lines

38mess

Visit site
What's the best way, I used to put them in the washing machine inside a pillow case, but my wife takes a dim view of this for some reason. I was thinking of soaking them in a weak solution of bleach over night. They are pretty grubby, mostly green mold.

sarabande

Visit site
Bleach is not kind to the structure of ropes. Some people use Patio Magic or equivalent, I use a hydrogen peroxide and stabilised silver solution by Endosan simply because I have a very large can of it for commercial uses..

Bob_Ranft

Visit site
Buy a large plastic storage box from the likes of Wilco. Fill it with cold water and cheap Tesco washing detergent. Leave ropes for two or three days in the box - then give them a really good rinse. Been doing every sheet, halyard, mooring rope on the boat for years this way. All ropes are clean, apart from odd mark, still soft, and do not appear to have deteriorated or lost any strength. But are given a really good rinse, following the box wash.

ctva

Visit site
We (wife) just daisy-chain and throw in the washing machine with normal Costco soap powder.

It's a washing machine, designed to wash dirty things. I would love to know how washing ropes (without metal attachments) would damage it??

Boathook

Visit site
Clean best as possible, cover in patio magic, allow to dry for a good period and then hang outside for the rain to rinse and hopefully they will be clean. Allow to dry again and cover in patio magic, allow to dry and put away until required for use.
I read this on these forums a few? weeks ago. The second dose of PM helps keep the ropes clean for the next year.

Normally I use the washing machine with socks covering any metal bits ......