Cleaning GRP (without power and poluting chemicals)

Visit site
I spent today scrubbing the roof and sides of my boat, trying to get a particularly stubborn lichen type growth off. (My own fault for not getting down to do it sooner...)

It's really hard to remove, especially on the deck with the textured surface. It's not the big curley green lichen, its small round patches about 5-10mm dia.

Are there any river safe chemicals that will help or is it just down to elbow grease?

No pressure washer available...

I'm moored mid-river in the UK.

Boathook

Visit site
Sounds like black spot. Patio magic may well remove it as is 'neutral' once it has dried. In liquid form it is bad for the aquatic's .....
Just brush on the deck when dry and likely to stay that way for quite a few days and when it eventually rains all the mould should wash off. If some 'mould' left repeat again .....

Visit site
Lots to try! Thanks. Tried Vistal. Smells nice. Not really any better than just scrubbing but it does work great on the shower doors!

Never heard of magic sponge! Will defo try that too.

Ultimately the whole boat needs polishing - on dry land!

Visit site
Just had a look at Magic Sponges/Erasers on Amazon. There are 50 million sellers of these under all different names. Many with 80% 5* reviews and 20% 1* !

(like lots of stuff on amazon these days)

Flash must be the genuine ones???

Scubadoo

Visit site
Lots to try! Thanks. Tried Vistal. Smells nice. Not really any better than just scrubbing but it does work great on the shower doors!

Never heard of magic sponge! Will defo try that too.

Ultimately the whole boat needs polishing - on dry land!
That does surprise me about vistal, did you use the sponge that comes with it, mine removed ingrained green stain along the water line without much effort.

Visit site
That does surprise me about vistal, did you use the sponge that comes with it, mine removed ingrained green stain along the water line without much effort.
Yes I used the sponge that came with it and while it goes get the marks off, it wasn't really much easier than just scrubbing with an worn scouring pad sponge.

This is what I'm dealing with.20200611_155605 (Medium).jpg20200611_155611 (Medium).jpg

This is what happens after a first go over with vistal. You can see that the stuff has started to go but you get really stuborn rings left behind.

Yes, I know this is pretty extreme! It's the worst bit! The really tough areas are the decks which have the textured GRP.
20200611_160013 (Medium).jpg

Portofino

Visit site
Looks similar to lichen a sort of organic material.
Try a black mould remover .Any DIY shop for household , the stuff that removes the black mould from the white sealant in a bathroom .Or “ Starbrite Black stain “ mould remover .
Its a kinda hypochlorite solution so if you get it on your clothes it will remove the colour so roll your sleeves up .
Leave it on 10:mins to soak before rubbing .
Not sure on the 2 nd requirement , the environmental thingy .....read the Starbrite label .But it works .

rafiki_

Visit site
Oxalic acid is probably the best stuff to use. Lots of expensive proprietary cleaners include it. However, best way is to buy the powder off E Bay and make your own up.