Cleaning Canvas with PM

TerryA

Visit site
OK so as asvised by the great and good on the forum I've applied the magic solution, mixed as per instructions, and I'n now going to leave it to do its stuff. Then what? In the current weather conditions it's going to dry fairly quickly . Is that Ok or should it be kept damp to work? Once done do I then need to wash it through to remove residue or can I just reproof immediately? I'm thinking of using Fabsil, is there something better? Guidance please!

savageseadog

Visit site
I've been trying to set up and do my own for a while. From what I understand and what I've seen from normal household use, it needs a few days to work and I assume that some damp would be beneficial, otherwise how can it work? Mist it down with a sprayer? Don't was it out. I was thinking of using a building silicone solution for re-preoofing

pvb

Visit site
Just let it dry naturally and leave it for a few days. No need to wash it out. I use Boracol, which is similar but has added ingredients.

TerryA

Visit site
Yep Pation Magic it is. The go to but not so obvious canvas cleaner. See previous posts on canvas cleaning,

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Yep Pation Magic it is. The go to but not so obvious canvas cleaner. See previous posts on canvas cleaning,
The active ingredient is Benzalkonium chloride (BAC) which does have surfactant properties and will clean dirt to some extent. However, there are much better things to remove build up of dirt and stains. BAC is very good at killing algae, moss, lichens etc. over an extended period of time.

I'd be tempted to try initial cleaning with a more powerful cleaning agent first if the fabric looks soiled and stained. BAC can be applied and the fabric kept moist for 6-12 hours before allowing to dry. A hose down and clean after another couple of weeks may well remove spots originally due to growth of algae, moss etc. The fabric should be fairly resistant to regrowth for another 12 months (18 months if you are lucky).

BAC is a good germicide and also does a decent job with COVID (it's a common active agent in many products also sold for that purpose).