Clean bums, dolphins and small disasters.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Just back from a week away on Blue Fisher, weather was pretty good, except that every time I sat in the dinghy it persisted down, as soon as I was back on the boat the sun beat down.

Met up with HLB in Salcombe where we shared several excellent meals prepared by Tutts, quite a few scallops which I had picked up on the way and a very tasty spider crab which I found whilst searching for my very lost weight belt.

Went round to Burgh Island with Haydn and immediately lost two sets of mackerel feathers in the space of a few minutes, not a bight all day. Still to make ammends offered to clean Merely a Farters props and scrub his bum, the water in Salcombe ideal for this, must be the cleanast clearest water in the West country.

Whilst in Salcombe we met up with Georges the tame dolphin, he took a fancy to a particular tender and gave it a good push and then a few leaps in the air followed by swimming under the boats upside down and nudging the oars with his beak. Every now and again he stopped to let his adoring public (me included) stroke and pat him. Spoil sport harbour dues collector tried to stop all the fun with a pronouncement that awful diseases could be caught by merely touching a dolphin and even worse by breathing its expired air, What a pillock.

After 3 days in Salcombe the crew decided it was time to move on to Plymouyh where we spent 2 nights in QAB. Great atmosphere, friendly staff and absolutely crap showers. Visited the National Marine Aquarium to see trheir new 10 meter deep tank but the water was too cloudy to see exactly what was in it. Stillall the other tanks were great, well worth a visit if you're down that way.

Also had the trawler race yesterday morning, always good fun, but do avoid the rotten eggs and water jets!

Left in sweltering sunshine to go back to Dartmouth, arrived there several hours later in pouring rain. Also this evening when putting the boat to bed hadn't seen a clous all day when from nowhere a downpor arrived. Yet another soaking! At least it was warm.

Suspect that Haydn is now in the CI's no doubt enjoying more good weather. All in all a very good week, drank far too much, this always seems to happen on the boat, ate rather too much and had an altogether great time. Just one question, why is it that teenagers seem to want to go back to bed just as soon as they've got up? Mine can't be unique cos his mate was exactly the same.

Sat on the balcony of the Royal Dart Yacht club (a most welcoming establishment) last night watching a seal swim past, what could be better. Made up for swamping my hi fi, losing loads of weights, towels lost overboard, burning the carpet in the galley etc etc.

Hope that you've all had as good a time as me.