Classic glassfibre yachts

Concerto

Visit site
Chatting with a number of visitors at the boat show about classic glassfibre yachts and we generated a list of what we thought the top 4 are.

1. Twister
2. Contessa 32
3. Westerly Fulmar
4. Westerly Centaur

Defining classic is not easy but we settled on the row away factor, popularity by sales, how nicely they sailed, good accomodation, and finally British made.

What do you think?

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
My guess is this should read:

Chatting with a number of Twister, Contessa and Westerly owners at the boat show about classic glassfibre yachts and we generated a list of what we thought the top 4 are.

1. Twister
2. Contessa 32
3. Westerly Fulmar
4. Westerly Centaur

As always with boats it’ll be different strokes for different folks.

doug748

Visit site
I agree with the Marieholm, there is normally something a bit lumpen about most boats but the IF boat does not seem to have an ugly line anywhere. Stylish is indeed the word, plus an excellent low maintenance, sailing boat.

If we restrict things to the UK, then the Nicholson 43 has to be right up there:

1633943672957.png

matt1

Visit site
Chatting with a number of visitors at the boat show about classic glassfibre yachts and we generated a list of what we thought the top 4 are.

1. Twister
2. Contessa 32
3. Westerly Fulmar
4. Westerly Centaur

Defining classic is not easy but we settled on the row away factor, popularity by sales, how nicely they sailed, good accomodation, and finally British made.

What do you think?

Well, who knew? Westerly Owner takes his Westerly to the boat show on behalf of the Westerly Owners Association and him and his Westerly mates reckon Westerly's take 50% of the top 4 classic's - lol :)

Great as the Fulmar is, I always thought she looked a bit plain Jane with average looks. As for the Centaur, again, another great boat but definitely the look of a Morris Minor (no offence to Centaur owners - they are great). So in those size categories, I'll raise you the Sigma 33 - Sweetly proportioned and acquitted herself well in the 79 Fastnet. In the 25' size the Tomahawk - underrated and pretty modern for her day.

If we didn't have to be Little Englanders, I'd also throw in the First range from the early 80's - the 30, 32, 38 & 42 being nice looking and good performers.

As others have said, the SHE 36 for drop dead classic looks if we have to stick to UK

E39mad

Visit site
A few more potentials to add to the list:

Rival 32
Vancouver 27/28
Swan 46 (German Frers 1980's design) A First 435 is equally as good looking from the same designer. Sorry edit - just seen you want British built
Rustler 36

Agree also on the Nic 43 - gorgeous looking boat.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
I think that the total tally of Albin Vegas built is probably a lot more than the Westerly Centaurs, so maybe Vegas should be included as well?
But for sheer looks and sailing ability, I have a soft spot for S & S designs - S & S 34's, Shes and Swans are all classic in my eye.