Classic Channel Regatta - Advice and Experiences

Villaman

Visit site
Hello all,

I am taking part in the Dartmouth Classic Channel Regatta this July and I wondered how anyone who has taken part before found it?

I am relatively new to sailing, my son and I had a trip on Trinity Sailing's Provident last year and we will be on her again this year.

http://www.trinitysailing.org/sailing-holidays/destinations/regattas-festivals/

Is it VERY competitive, or is it more about having a good time, enjoying the festivities and admiring lots of pretty boats? (I am hoping the latter).

Obviously I am all for a bit of racing, but I am just unsure what to expect.

Thanks,

Aurai

Visit site
Hi

Put it this way, we, Aurai and Internet crew, are headed to our fourth event. The first was our very first IRC Yacht Race and a steep learning curve, for start line requirements, tactics and so on. Keeping the Race Line monitors very late in Race 1 and still getting the most cheerful signal for crossing the line.

The rest includes not making the start line for the next event and then completing the one in 2013.

The racing is very friendly at all levels, but keen rivalry by top boats and top crews. The organisation and hospitality is supreme and the whole event massive value for money. The total experience is one great pleasure for us, but then we would not do Brittany or Channel Islands otherwise.

Even with the rest days, it is a pleasant treadmill and needs some organisation and discipline, to keep crew on mission and not partied out especially for the overnight Channel Crossing. Skippers get called to morning meetings etc so crew need to organise the boat for the day.

Feel very free to ask me any questions,

Chas

PhillM

Visit site
I think it may also be a good feeder into either Cowes classics week or the Panneri Classics - which this year are clashing for unavoidable circumstances.

sideshowbob

Visit site
We have done it once, for some the racing is very competitive for others less so. You should have a basic understanding of the rules of racing but not everyone does so best to take starts, mark rounding etc
with care and consideration for those who do! Lots of great boats, nicely organised, well worth taking part whatever your level of competence. We may do it this year.