Classic Boat and the Boat Show

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
Sorry, don't have the rag this month so not very informed. I'm in London this week and was wondering whether there anything at the show worth going to in terms of the classic's stand or has change in ownership meant cut backs?

lesweeks

Visit site
Yes, TS is there, aka Downs Road Boatyard, in the Classic Boat area. I was working at the boatyard on Saturday - very quiet!
I was at the Boatshow yesterday, also pretty quiet, but then again I don't usually go on a Monday so perhaps it was average. At least it was easy to see things and talk to people.

Apart from the CB stand (additionally Old Pulteney, International paints, photographer Emily Harris, 'Swallow' [ from .... and Amazons] looking beautifully restored, a restored speed boat, Rigger Ian Bell and, as mentioned above, St.Patrick's re-built hull) which I thought was pretty good, there wasn't a huge amount to interest the 'Classics' fans.

Lots of gear, of course, a lecture theatre with a rather sparse audience, a reasonable number of yachts and the inevitable huge mega-million plastic gin palace. Plus ca change ...

The much publicised pool amused me as I was about to leave. One end has a bank of 20 large fans to generate a steady wind for the fleet of radio controlled racing yachts. These are pretty substantial beasts; probably about 4' tall. I thought the kids are going to love this.
Kids! no way! The procession of competitors, each proudly with their racing number and radio channel code on their tabard and their yacht under their arm, were, well mainly, silver topped or rather folically challenged. Big boy toys!

Probably give it a miss next year.

Last edited:

[448]

Visit site
And St. Patrick

As the previous owner of St. Patrick, I have been following the restoration with some interest.
It does appear to me to be a totally new construction, rather than a restoration, with precious little of the origainal boat in there. Bit disappointing, but a very nice job.
Please correct me if I am wrong.
Dave

oldfrank

Visit site
Dave,

I certainly overheard several comments that that there was too much new wood in her hull. I heard what they said and indeed might have done it differently myself but ... I'm still, just delighted the boat has a new life. All things being equal; it's still the best possible end to the story.

I understand that St. Andrew has been located in Kent and I'm quietly on the trail of St. David. She fell off Lloyds Register of Yachts in 1939 at Aldeburgh. I believe she was re-registered as Broads River Cruiser 46 in 1953 and still known as St. David. She was recently described as "painted green, not a Broads boat with a small cabin". At the time, she was owned by an H.Shearing. She sailed with the East Anglian Cruising Club at Thurne Mouth during the 1950s and 1960s. Must be able to get closer to the boat than that. Two located, one with half a chance and St. George apparently sunk without trace. Still; not bad for four boats not far off a century old. Keep smiling, Jamie

[448]

Visit site
Hello Jamie, thanks for the info on David and Andrew. I suppose that the complete rebuild is the best result. I wonder what they have done with the remains.............
Dave

oldfrank

Visit site
The bits I've taken off my boat this winter are still keeping me warm! Good to hear from you. I could easily take issue with the detail of the restoration - but at least the boat will have a new lease of life ... and I shouldn't have wanted to pay! Jamie.

PS. Got another tiny step closer to St. David today.

[448]

Visit site
The bits I've taken off my boat this winter are still keeping me warm! Good to hear from you. I could easily take issue with the detail of the restoration - but at least the boat will have a new lease of life ... and I shouldn't have wanted to pay! Jamie.

PS. Got another tiny step closer to St. David today.

Jamie, are you on the mailing list for the St. Patrick Parish News, that Watsons send out from time to time with info on the retoration? If not I can email them.
I haven't had any info on cost to date of the job!
Dave