Clamp thingy

davel

Visit site
I'm looking for some sort of plastic clamp so that I can attach my hand held GPS to my wheel pedestal. The pedestal frame is tubular steel of approx 35mm diameter.
I'm happy to mount GPS on a bit of wood and wood onto plastic clamp.

Any idea where I can get a clamp thingy?

Dave L.

ccscott49

Visit site
Dependent on the type of GPS, those clamp thingys' are available as an optional extra, I think they are used to mount them on bikes. Have a look on the website of EMS, don't know what it is, but you will find it!

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Dave,

If you have a Garmin the thingy is a bicycle mount kit, 010-10115-00 is suitable for 12, 12Xl, 38, 45XL & 48 price £10.99. The one I have works very well although not much plastic for £11.00 but what do you get for £11 nowdays.

You should be able to locate a supplier without any problem.

Trevor

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Placing a box of electronics next to your compass sounds like a good way of inducing unknown and variable errors. Suggest you note your compass reading abd then hold your GPS next it to see what happens. It may save you the cost of a thingy

Chris Stannard

davel

Visit site
Thanks Colin & Trevor. The problem with the Garmin purpose made unit is that it's made for a bike frame and is far too small to clamp onto the pedestal. At 35mm it's quite substantial.

I had in mind some sort of pipe fitting (susch as those used to hold domestic water pipes in place) however the max diameter I've seen at the local B&Q is 22 mm and still too small.

Dave L.

G

Nearer home

Try a chandlers they do black ones from under an inch up to oar thickness

JeremyF

Visit site
I would first make a teak backing plate, and fix it to the column with either a stainless steel U bracket (if you can find the right size) or a plastic drain clip (will look tackier) Then you have a platform to mount the GPS using the manufacturer's standard mounting kit.

Jeremy Flynn

www.yacht-goldeneye.co.uk
New pics 11.02.02

MedMan

teall.name
We have an Autohelm remote control - same sort of size as a handheld GPS - attached to our pedestal. We attached the remote to a small rectangle of wood and screwed two black plastic pipe clips of the appropriate size to the back of the piece of wood. The plastic clips came from the chandlers and cost pence, not pounds.

David

Trevor_swfyc

Visit site
Dave,

Your pedestal is more substantial than I realised. I would find some way off reducing down, so that you can use the handle bar bracket, as it is a neat safe connection. The GPS can still go into its case without any bits looking odd. Have you looked in B&Q or Homebase at TV aerial bracket bits might come up with something, if you go for plastic clips you could back-back them to reduce down. Use two 35 mm clips each backed to 22mm clips with a short length of alloy tube between.
Hope this helps in your quest.
Trevor