Ciutadella Menorca

IanJackson

Visit site
We're just visiting Ciutadella for the first time this week. We found that contrary to many dire warnings in the pilot about the congestion in the harbour and ferry wash etc. that there is a brand new ferry port just outside the harbour entrance and Cala Degollador. All ferries since last Tuesday 24th May 2011 go there and not into the harbour. This makes a huge difference to the level of activity inside the harbour. The large commercial quay on the north side of the harbour is still open but now available at the very reasonable PortsIB (www.portsib.es) rates for visitors albeit alongside a very high quay which can make it difficult getting on and off, and there are few suitable small vessel bollards/rings etc. This quay is also used by the small fishing fleet. Presumably the PortsIB will install tails in due course. The only alternative for visitors are the much more expensive Club Nautic berths on the south side.

Mrnotming

Visit site
Ciutadella

JonJon is correct.
There is a local oscillation of the water level.Try to ask others how to find signs or warnings of this phenomenon, covered in the past byYBW.com publications.
Last time it happened there was mayhem, smashups and repeated groundings.Been there myself, but before I knew about this type of event, which is not of seismic origin.

Foxy

www.yachtfoxglove.com
Lovely spot but can be v dodgy due to whats known as a rissaga, rescala or seiche. As Previous poster wrote, it works in much the same way as a tsunami although appears to be caused by the weather. We were there when it occurred quite dramatically in 2006. Basically, the whole harbour emptied of water, leaving the boats lying on the bottom. The water then rushed back in and cleared most of the boats away with it - it was mayhem. Fortunately, we had been asked to leave the harbour the day before as it was full for some reason, so we anchored in the Cala round the back of town. Everything was weirdly fine there - not very scenic though!
The harbour was closed for some months after the event. I appears it happens fairly often (every year or two)
There are a few photos here and a good explanation. I'll hunt out some of ours.

http://www.adv-geosci.net/12/1/2007/adgeo-12-1-2007.pdf

Last edited: