CI Flag Etiquette

Moody

Visit site
Our summer holidays start next week, and we are planning to cruise to the Channel Islands, and I have a few questions on flag etiquette.

Our first stop will be Alderney, and I understand that we should fly a Q flag until we've cleared customs, is this correct?

We intend to visit Alderney, Guernsey, and maybe Jersey. Do they all have their own courtesy flag, or is there one that covers all?

Neil

nonitoo

Visit site
Unless there are special rules regarding this in the CI, the "Q" flag indicates that you are healthy, although this is rarely flown nowadays, UNLESS, perversely, there IS a communicatable disease on board.

Didn't know it had anything to do with HMRC.

Tom

Tugw

Visit site
if you have a non eu national onboard and require customs or immigration clearence then you must fly the Q flag when entering a UK port.(i had to do this when arriving here with my wife in Shotley-we were then directed to the immigration officer in Harwich))but im not sure if there is anything unique about the CI

moodycruiser

www.pctony.co.uk
There is a speed limit of 4 knots in the harbour, and also in Saye, Corblets and Longis bays. It is not permitted to tie up to the Commercial Quay or the Breakwater, nor beach on Braye or Saye bays. For Customs clearance, Braye is the only port of entry, and all vessels entering from outside the Bailiwick of Guernsey must complete a customs form which will be supplied by the Harbour Launch or obtained from the HarbourMaster's Office – UK forms are not valid. Customs must be notified of any animals aboard – UK rules apply
.... anad I believe you should fly the Q flag until visited by the harbour master, I always have, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Robin

Visit site
The CI are not in the EU so you need to fly 'Q' on arrival until you have cleared customs. Usually you will be given a form by the HM and post it in a box onshore. Same again when you go to Guernsey and again to Jersey. The courtesy flags are all different and most people don't bother.

If you are leaving the UK for the CI you are supposed to fill in a customs form on departure and complete part 2 of this on your return and fly 'Q' as you have arrived from outside the EU. Be aware that your limit on booze and cigarettes purchased in the CI is like 200 cigs and 1 litre of spirits per person.. Small wonder that lots of boats return via Cherbourg which means you clear back into the EU in France (where they have no real interest in UK boats even if flying 'Q' which few bother) and you can now go home without any need to fly 'Q' on arrival or bother with part 2 of the form, assuming you bothered with part 1 in the first place.

Daft? Maybe.

RogerRat

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
We intend to visit Alderney, Guernsey, and maybe Jersey. Do they all have their own courtesy flag, or is there one that covers all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they all have their own courtesy flags... Look in here

Not essential but they appreciate the effort and it's just polite.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
technically you should fly a Q but know one bothers. same with the CI flags an ensign will do and is excepted, but it's a nice gesture.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
i though they changed the law recently and you must fly this flag /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

confedflag.jpg

RogerRat

Visit site
Funny all this fuss about ensigns, /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've been flying the Conferate flag since last year prior to the diesel rule change and still no one has mentioned it on the water. I do fly a red duster courtesy as well next to my 'YBW' forum flag. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I even did a slow pass around the, 'Teddy Roosevelt' (Big Stick) a couple of months ago before being ushered away by police.