Christchurch

alancollins

Visit site
Any advice on where to over-night in Christchurch harbour? I draw only just over 3 feet and wonder if there is anywhere to moor and walk ashore. Failing that, is there somewhere to stay afloat at anchor and dinghy ashore for an evening meal?

Seajet

Visit site
I have always avoided Christchurch, because of the tide; once when visiting by road I was at the entrance and saw the ebb overfalls throw a scoffolder's plank high in the air...

There is a decent pub by the entrance and it's a lovely place, but I'll ask a chum who's been there what the score is re getting to and fro in a tender or going alongside anywhere; I'd think places alongside will be pre-nabbed and dinghy access limited, but I'll ask and get back,

assuming you have a powerful engine and an even more powerful grasp of the tides.

alant

Visit site
I have always avoided Christchurch, because of the tide; once when visiting by road I was at the entrance and saw the ebb overfalls throw a scoffolder's plank high in the air...

There is a decent pub by the entrance and it's a lovely place, but I'll ask a chum who's been there what the score is re getting to and fro in a tender or going alongside anywhere; I'd think places alongside will be pre-nabbed and dinghy access limited, but I'll ask and get back,

assuming you have a powerful engine and an even more powerful grasp of the tides.

You can anchor well inside the 'run' upstream of the entrance, or even around the corner in the shallow area, but the tide runs very fast in the area outside & inside, so getting across from the west bank needs very strong arms if rowing, or use the ferry to the pub. Not sure what running times are.
However, once through the entrance, you should be able to get right up to the roadbridge with 3' draft.

Last edited:

TC Tuckton

Visit site
I got into Christchurch with a Centaur (draws 1m) on Friday at 15.15, 3.5 hours after LW neaps and with a swell <0.25m.
Echo sounder showed 3.8m between the first pair of buoys dropping to 1.4m by the third pair before increasing again to 1.7m just before entering the "Run" and deeper water until inside the harbour. There are moorings on the south side of the channel though I would not want to leave the boat unattended on a borrowed one.
Further in the harbour least depth in the channel was 1.2m (to very soft mud) before increasing again upstream of the training centre on the South side of the harbour. There is an anchorage further upstream off the south side of the channel just before the river narrows. It still a good row into Christchurch from there.
Christchurch Sailing Club has a pontoon and found the corner on the Avon there are two boatyards with shoreside moorings, Elkins and Rossiters. They may have space. In all cases it would be wise to phone ahead. Good luck!

Boathook

Visit site

wooslehunter

Visit site
+1 for Christchurch Sailing Club. I stayed on their pontoon the year before last. Bit of a trek up the harbour but if you only draw 3' as do I, it's fine. Like many shallow places, you just have to get the tide right & stick to the marked channel.

Club is friendly & an easy walk into town. I even met someone whose dad owned my boat years back !!!

Hoping to get back there again this season.

Hadenough

Visit site

And?

Boathook

Visit site

The ebb on a spring is to be avoided by most unless you can motor at over 7 knots. Lots of rain can cause the ebb to speed up but over the years (too many) I have always managed to get in.

alancollins

Visit site
Thanks folks. Christchurch SC sounds like the answer. As usual timing is everything. I tried to get in some years ago, but arrived after high water. I followed a motor boat in but when I saw him slow to a crawl despite putting up a decent bow wave I gave up and came out like a cork out of a champagne bottle!