Choice of best marine VHF antenna and co-ax

CMonster

www.yachtmatador.blogspot.com
This is the first of many lightning strike related questions as we have a lot of refitting to do. Have to replace our whole VHF system. Will be buying Standard Horizon GX2200 with remote RAM3 mike. This worked well for us before. What is the very best marine VHF masthead antenna and the best /lowest loss coax cable - I heard bigger is better. Thank you radio experts.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Whilst appreciating you are asking us liveaboards for help in your refit (not a nice thing to have happen to you), and you will get help, you might do better posting any further questions in the PBO reader to reader forum as that's where most of the forum experts hang out. You'll get a wider range of opinions and advice than here, simply because it's a smaller forum.

I'd endorse saltyjohn as a good source of kit.

One thing to remember is that the coax that comes down the mast will often be factory attached to the antenna itself and is often of a lighter gauge than the run from the mastfoot to the radio. You therefore face a choice of finding an antenna which comes with a heavy gauge coax, breaking the factory sealed unit at the antenna mount to fit a heavier coax or accepting the light gauge run down the mast. You may also find space problems fitting a heavy gauge coax down the mast.

I have a Glomex antenna for my set up with light gauge coax. Works fine for me and has done for some years now.

Chalker

Visit site
You can run heavy gauge coax up the mast and put male and female connectors at the top. BNC or N type will be better than UHF (which are not really for UHF!). Then tightly wrap the connectors with self amalgamating tape from coax, over the connectors to the other cable and back again. That will keep it waterproof. Find a use for the coax that came with the antenna.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Metz Manta from Salty John

RG8 or RG213 coax *

PL259 connectors

If you have to have a joint at the mast base, either a proper VHF deck socket or a PL259 to SO259 connection below the deck gland

* RG8X or RG213 if at all possible, RG8U if it's not possible to run the thicker cables. Never RG58 on long runs up masts

jdc

Visit site
The ISAF rules (perhaps not applicable to cruisers, but some guidance nevertheless) state about the VHF:

it shall have a masthead antenna, and co-axial feeder cable with not more than 40% power loss MoMu0,1,2,3
iii the following types and lengths of co-axial feeder cable will meet the requirements of OSR 3.29.1 (b)(ii): (a) up to 15m (50ft) - type RG8X ("mini 8"); (b) 15-28m (50-90ft) - type RG8U; (c) 28-43m (90-140ft) - type 9913F (uses conventional connectors, available from US supplier Belden); (d) 43-70m) 140-230ft - type LMR600 (uses special connectors, available from US supplier Times Microwave).

Which endorses the recommendation for RG8U already posted.
(40% loss is -2.2dB, which really isn't much and I suspect few cruising yachts manage such a low figure. It's also silly of ISAF to specify only the cable loss and not antenna efficiency or pattern).

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
The thread seems to be a straight benefit match for Metz antennae and Salty John. Both I'm sure are worthy causes.

However I need one with a wind-indicator.
Most technical advice (apart from using heavier RG8U cabling) appears to favour (for reason of gain) whips of about 1m in length and stainless whips over GRP.

Apart from ready-made indicator/vhf aerials by Vtronix, Glomex do a universal indicator for 3mm ss antennae as do Banten.

Sorry if I appear to be taking over the thread - perhaps more diverse opinions would be of benefit.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
i have a hawk whip antenna which the yard i got the boat from pulled apart. but i want to just keep it as a wind finder and get a separate antenna. i tried to do checkout via paypal but because i had disputes with them in the past i cannot use paypal. i tied to contact saltyjohn via nfo@saltyjohn.co.uk but it came back undeliverable... annoying

doesnt he do credit card payment?