Chinese Navy Cock-up?

KrisHansen

Visit site
I was in the lift at work earlier, and just caught the end of a story about the Chinese Navy having some kind of run-in with our boys at Portsmouth. All I heard was that Britain had apologised, and claimed an administrative error had caused the wrong flag to be ordered...

Nothing on the BBC website about it, despite World Service broadcasting the story on the news... anyone know any more?

- Kris Hansen

BarryD

Visit site
Yep, they hoisted the Repulic of Tawain and not the PRC flag when the visitors came on board. Seeing as these two countries don't quite see eye to eye (Taiwain is a break-away faction from the mainland) this could be a case of "well you all look the same to us anyway" or a major insult.

Was in the Times this AM.

Barry D.

BarryD

Visit site
Radio / Times

Not a lot else to do whilst Virgin trains are trying valiently to find Euston, in the rain and sleet.

Barry D.

Visit site
Totally Unforgiveable

yet another sign of a country going to the dogs because we let slackness, being ever so kind to the dear little kiddies in school by not insisting on standards, Political Correctness (only this demonstrably WASN'T!) etc., etc., etc... take priority.

This is a flogging offence and the master of that vessel should resign forthwith. He has absolutely NO excuse. Quite apart from this feeble "Ordered the Wrong Flag routine, what happened to his copy of the Admiralty list of Signals (Foreign National Flags) or even a copy of Reeds?

Had they run up a "wrong signal" declaring war on China what would have happened then?

Heads have rolled in the past for obtuse slights on the Rear Admiral's wife; this is a much more serious affair.

We have a right to expect perfection (or as near to it as makes no difference) from our Senior Service.

Steve Cronin

G

I saw the Chinese ships arrive and noticed they were flying Union flags, not ensigns, from their cross trees. Was this an error also?

Geoffs

Visit site
Even some us us seem to have difficulty with our selection of flags. Often see boats with the union flag on their stern pole, why yestersday, I even saw a small boat called HMS something or other, and no it was not an RN vessel, think was a Bayliner (probably 'nuff said).

So perhaps Chinese could be forgiven, 'specially as they are the visitors. Must be a bit tricky, 'What do we put up, Red, White or Blue ensign? Oh bung up the union flag, that should cover it!' Whatever all that is in Chinese.

Visit site
It\'s as bad as....

... repeatedly mispronouncing someone's name. I repeat - unforgiveable.

A "Host" did this to me in a Miami restaurant a few years back. Kept on telling me that Cohen was my name as far as he was concerned. Nearly punched the little d...., sorry chap.

Steev Cronin