Chichester Marina Free Flow Times???

Jaguar 25

Visit site
Chichester Marina Free Flow Times (BST)

These are published on the Chichester Conservancy website and for the coming weekend they are defined as:

Saturday 27th June Open 1959 Close 2229
Sunday 28th June Open 2042 Close 2352

They seem to be related to the second HW of the day.

Can someone please tell me what they mean?

VicS

Visit site
Chichester Marina Free Flow Times (BST)

These are published on the Chichester Conservancy website and for the coming weekend they are defined as:

Saturday 27th June Open 1959 Close 2229
Sunday 28th June Open 2042 Close 2352

They seem to be related to the second HW of the day.

Can someone please tell me what they mean?

I guess it means what it says ! Free flow between those times each day .

Probably because its neap tides and the morning tides are too small for a period of free flow but a little bigger in the evenings hence free flow

I expect there is a figure for the predicted height of HW below which they do not operate a free flow.

On the day the times will be influenced by the actual heights.

From the marina website

As the flooding tide reaches the marina basin level both sets of lock gates are opened. This is known as ‘free flow’. During neap tides and at the top of extreme spring high tides free flow may not operate, normal locking procedure then applies. A flashing orange light at the lock indicates free flow is operating.

The lock keeper will announce the start of free flow on VHF Channel 80. Red and green traffic lights control access through the lock. During free flow there is no need to call our lock keeper, you may enter on the green light.]

Last edited:

Jaguar 25

Visit site
I guess it means what it says ! Free flow between those times each day .

Probably because its neap tides and the morning tides are too small for a period of free flow but a little bigger in the evenings hence free flow

I expect there is a figure for the predicted height of HW below which they do not operate a free flow.

On the day the times will be influenced by the actual heights.

From the marina website

So I would presume that during free flow, the lock gates are always open and you can proceed when there is a green light.

prv

Visit site
So I would presume that during free flow, the lock gates are always open and you can proceed when there is a green light.

Ah - the question wasn't about the times, but about what "free flow" means :)

Yes, it's when they open both sets of lock gates at the same time, because the tide is within the range allowed for the marina basin so there's no need to lock up or down. Some people make an effort to enter or leave during those times if possible, as it's easier than tying up and waiting for the lock to cycle.

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I don't think I'd bet my life savings on it being free flow exactly at those times either !

This is another situation where binoculars from a distance off are handy.

If this is your first visit to Chi Marina, beware that in the morning there is a stampede to get out, especially among the mobo's; a look in Chris's workshop at CB Marine should illustrate the point, last time I looked there was an impressive pile of mangled mobo pulpits...:)

johnwest

Visit site
The times of freeflow are worked out by a formulae from the Portsmouth tide tables. They are of course a prediction and should not be viewed as set in concrete. As all sailors know the air pressure and wind strength and direction can make a difference.
Both inner and outer gates will be open, indicated by an orange flashing light on the towers at both ends of the lock. Obey the lights, but don't follow the boat in front too closely.

j