Cherry pickers

ChiPete

Visit site
I need to install a new VHF antenna and cable at the mast head this year as well as checking the sheaves and sorting out a problem with the steaming light that's been eluding me for some time despite numerous trips up the mast.

The boat comes out of the water this week and it occurs to me that those jobs will be much easier with a cherry picker rather than faff about swinging about off a bit of string.

Has anyone hired a cherry picker in the Hants/West Sussex area (boat's in Chi Marina) and can recommend any firms? I've done some Googleage and it seems that most must come with an operator though the smaller toweable type which you can hitch up to the car may be self-operable.

Any assistance always appreciated.

Pete

Last edited:

savageseadog

Visit site
I need to install a new VHF antenna and cable at the mast head this year as well as checking the sheaves and sorting out a problem with the steaming light that's been eluding me for some time despite numerous trips up the mast.

The boat comes out of the water this week and it occurs to me that those jobs will be much easier with a cherry picker rather than faff about swinging about off a bit of string.

Has anyone hired a cherry picker in the Hants/West Sussex area (boat's in Chi Marina) and can recommend any firms? I've done some Googleage and it seems that most must come with an operator though the smaller toweable type which you can hitch up to the car may be self-operable.

Pete

They are used in some yards, I've been up one and done a job at the masthead, it made the job very easy. I normally climb but was very short of time and it didn't cost anything.

prv

Visit site
Never considered this approach, but I'm certainly not a fan of bosun's chairs. What sort of price does your googling reveal?

Pete

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
I know our club (Portchester) hired one for self operation to deal with high level lamps but don't know who from. From what I remember I'm not convinced it would reach the top of a mast on much more than a 20 footer though. I can probably find out who it was hired from if you have no joy.

savageseadog

Visit site
I know our club (Portchester) hired one for self operation to deal with high level lamps but don't know who from. From what I remember I'm not convinced it would reach the top of a mast on much more than a 20 footer though. I can probably find out who it was hired from if you have no joy.

You use the picker from the dockside or next to the craning berth which gives another 3-4m round our way. Cherry pickers vary in reach considerably between models.

steve6367

www.ybw.com
Something suitable should cost you about £120 for the day, you should have your IPAF ticket to prove your competent. It is not a legal requirement but the problem with not having one is how your would prove you were competent if someone got hurt or you damaged something?

We use A1 Hire and Sale, but any of the big companies will be able to help you - just tell them the surface you will use it on, how high you need to go and how much weight you need to take with you.

If you have never used one before get someone who has to help you, or practise for a while away from boats / people.

Steve

Solent sailer

Visit site

Pete

We normally use Nationwide hire national company with branches all over. Not cheep and you might want to check with the yard they will let you use it without a licence or insurance?

tjanna

Visit site
I don't think you would get close enough with a Cherry Picker, you would need a gold lift with boom and a telescopic arm. I've hired them for street lighting and cctv installations. Check the delivery charges involved! I was charged over £300 just for delivery and collection with one hire company. Needless to say I didn't use them again!!

Gareth

ChiPete

Visit site
Hi all,

Many thanks for your responses and the information. Apologies for the delay replying, I've been getting prices in. Facelift were very quick, Nationwide appear not to be bothered about the business!

Facelift can hire one of these:

http://www.facelift.co.uk/hire/road-towable/nifty-170

Towable, self operated (with training at depot) and with the 17m height and 8m reach that I need.

The only downside is the price - £circa £340 + VAT for a weekend (out Friday evening, back Monday morning). that does include CDW and breakdown cover though.

I'm going to continue looking at other suppliers however if there is anyone at Chichester Marina who has any jobs to do on their mast and would be interested in splitting the costs with me, do drop me a line.

Cheers,
Pete