Cherbourg Warning

aod

Visit site
It's been a while since I posted on here but I thought this important enough to mention it.

I raced to Cherbourg in September last. We all went out for a meal, few drinks and ended up in a club. In the we early hours my bed called and so I left to walk back alone. Within minutes I had two guys begging for money. I carried on walking and ignored them and they carried on following and begging for money. I guessed they were early 20s and one was taller than me. After about five minutes I decided enough was enough and stopped and told them 'No' The taller of the two put his hands in the air in a surrender style and uttered 'No problem'. As he did his coat gaped open and there as plain as day was a baseball bat poking out of a pocket so I guessed it was a problem. I backed off into the road in an effort to hail a cab or just attract attention from passing motorists and the two guys ran off around a corner and out of sight. Nothing further happened and I got back to the marina safely and called one of the crew to tell them that when they decide to leave to come back together, which they did without any problems.

I have sailed to Cherbourg on numerous occasions and never had an unpleasant stay indeed I love the place. So I thought this incident to be a one off and didn't put too much score on it.

This weekend just gone I took part in a RORC race to Cherbourg and being a long slog we didn't finish until the wee hours of Sunday morning. Running low on supplies a couple of us went into town to forage for some food but the first road we walked along with illuminated signs turned out to be a narrow very dodgy kebab street with groups of people milling around drunk. I think as we walked down that street almost everyone was looking at us even the guy urinating against a shop window looked up and as we passed groups it went disturbingly quiet as their shouts turned to whispers. A guy from a kebab shop correctly identified the two sober gits in mid layers ambling down the street to be Brits and promptly and probably with some concern for our welfare approached and whispered to us that it was dangerous and we should go. We had already realised that and had never stopped walking having immediately abandoned any thought of supplies the primary concern now not getting back to the boat in one piece.

We weren't followed or anything and we safely walked back to the marina along deserted but bright roads and as we neared the marina we could clearly see and hear a gang of 20 to 30 yobs in the car park behind the marina. They managed to turn over a bottle bank and started lobbing the bottles all around the car park. It wasn't dangerously near us and didn't affect us other than it was a disturbing sight.

When we got back to the boat it turned out that in a totaly unrelated incident someone had been driving along the East Quay at speed before performing handbrake turns, one thinks for fun. But they had miscalculated and went off the end and having rolled down the rocks ended up in the harbour. The emergency services were there in some force with more vehicles arriving all the time blue lights everywhere.

15 minutes later we left and as we sailed out of the harbour we saw just the roof of the car poking out of the water so we don't know if anyone was still inside it or not. No rescue or recovery was being attempted by the emergency services at that time indeed the the Police etc were just stood at the top milling about.

The reason I have written this is not to attract reams of advice about not walking in towns late at night, or that all towns are like that and what do you expect etc.

I have written it because I have decided that in future when I go to Cherbourg I will warn my crew mates, or indeed friends, that if they go out in the evening to stick together, and if it's late, return to the marina via the roads as oppose to the wooded park immediately behind the marina.

IMHO Cherbourg as lovely as it is isn't quite the safe place that it once was, and I thought I would mention it on this forum because it might just make a reader think, and thus prevent a great sailing experience and excellent meal and fun drinks from becoming a traumatic nightmare.

Robin

Visit site
The kebab street indeed looks like Albanian Alley and is quite menacing even during the day. It has deteriorated rapidly and quite out of character with the rest of the town. We walked through it to the mini market over the Mayday weekend and there were clusters of druggies hanging around some totally out of it. Next time we'll get to the mini-market via the other end, where Grand Cerf and Petit Cerf used to be or avoid it altogether as we found another shop which opens on Sundays and holidays in the centre.

Generally the area around the marina is occasionally patrolled by the police but I'm sure the HM would call them out if needs be.

Why not e-mail a copy of this post to the Harbour Master and even the Tourist Office, it would at least show folks are concerned and who knows they might step up the police patrols?

By the same token, St Peter Port Marina also seems to be the local alcaholics meeting point during the day, sat at the top of the walkways on the north side. We have twice mentioned this to the Guernsey Tourist peeps at boatshows who agreed it happened but nothing had changed last time we were there in September last year. Signs of the times?

aod

Visit site
hmm.....I am planning a family cruise in July and had included St Peters Port on the itinerary so many thanks for that. I will still go as indeed I will to Cherbourg but it's useful to have the info.

dom

Visit site
I was there on Sunday 7th and there were a couple of peoiple in the Capitanerie making a complaint about noise drunkeness etc. Pity

Sans Bateau

Visit site
The one aspect of Cherbourg that has over the last few years concerned me is the lack of security, anyone could walk down a pontoon to the boats. Last year I noticed that there are more and more yoofs sitting around on the benches overlooking the marina, its no secret that you have left the boat for the evening, you are on holiday and there will be goodies on board. They are still there late at night, often looking a little worse for wear (them not us).

We will be seen as 'rich' boat owners who must have loads of cash around or when will there be an attempt to use our passage back to the UK as a way out. Think about it.

graham

Visit site
A timely reminder to think about safety ashore especially after a night out.

Sadly its neccessary to keep your wits about you in any town these days.Wandering around ,one up ,in the early hours is asking for it.

gjbentley

Visit site
Is this a reflection of just Cherbourg changing - or possibly a reflection of the more broader national problem lately that France has with its young people who have actively led violent protests in major cities ?

guernseyman

Visit site
Hitherto the worst I've experienced in France was three rowdies in Morlaix running onto a pontoon. When one came alongside our boat I pointed out that we had three children asleep. Amid profuse apologies they left.

Yes, St Peter Port and Guernsey and the Channel Islands in general are doing our best to catch up with the UK in the incidence of nuisance and violence. As a rough guide we are always about 10 years behind you. I hope it isn't being racist to say that we have fractional populations of EU citizens with a possibly slightly higher incidence in the relevant area of activity.

There are reported scams of men being asked for money for spending time with an EU girl in a night spot when they thought they had pulled. And there are occasional incidents of apparently random violence. With the lengthening of opening times into the small hours the occasional closing time fracas has virtually disappeared.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
As Stingo so accuratly said [ QUOTE ]
Sounds just like Gosport on a Friday or Saturday night. Or many a place in the UK come to think of it

[/ QUOTE ]

There is however a major unemployment problem in France - not helped by the employment laws which make it realistically impossible to sack anybody - they are yours for life - with holiday and social security rights that make the average French employer think that he would rather not employ anybody.. T

he recent attempt to change the law to make it more like the UK resulted in riots so the unemployment continues - because nobody wants to employ people so people are on the dole so.....

The added problem of Cherbourg and indeed all that channel coast is it represents the poorest area France - the wealth broadly speaking gets greater the closer you get to the Med... Mind you the bands of roving young unemployed move south with the sun and easier 'tourist' pickings..

I was pretty frightened last year in central Plymouth staying at a hotel whilst I was buying my Prout... To go out to dinner in central Plymouth took a lot street savvy and some quick about faces when 'the drunken youth' of the fair city looked 'dangerous'...

Michael

Barr Avel

Visit site
Personally I would as readily blame the incidents on the proximity of Cherbourg to England and it's yob culture as I would on the French employment laws.

As has been stated before let's not jump to conclusions here, I would still be more concerned about crime and mindless drunken violence in any town around the Solent than in France.

Robin

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Then again, I wasn't out till the early hours hanging around the night clubs

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very valid comment of course.

However I mentioned the now squalid little street that runs from the square opposite Napoleon on his nag to where Grand Cerf, Petit Cerf restaurants used to be and the mini-market still is. We walked to the mini market at 11.00am on Mayday Monday and felt very threatened by the groups of druggies in the street who were yelling at passers by, to the point we went into a newsagent shop to wait for them to move off. I couldn't understand them (I speak reasonable French) and they may well not have been French origin, but were 'locals' not tourists. This little street used to be OK with a mix of shops and small cafes, now it is all mostly Eastern European takeaways, plus a seedy disco or two and a games arcade. Many shops, like the bike shop have moved elsewhere and it is dirty and run down despite being near the smartish parts of town.

I still like Cherbourg and will continue going as I know you do, several times a year - but will avoid Albanian Alley or Turkish Terrace like the plague, even during daytime! You can reach the mini market via the other end of the street, leaving the marina via the swimming pool end as if going to Grand Gousier restaurant. Alternatively we found another small supermarket in the centre that also was open on Sundays and Holidays.

Robin