Check your moorings!

nathanlee

Visit site
A while back there was an article in PBO (I think) entitled 'Check your moorings'.

It featured a UFO 31 being rescued on Windermere after it broke it's moorings and went drifting on to the rocks. Lakey has a pic of it.

Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested to know what happened to that poor little UFO. ;)

http://onkudu.com/life-on-water/a-late-arrival/

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
you are one crazy dude

A while back there was an article in PBO (I think) entitled 'Check your moorings'.

It featured a UFO 31 being rescued on Windermere after it broke it's moorings and went drifting on to the rocks. Lakey has a pic of it.

Anyway, I thought some of you may be interested to know what happened to that poor little UFO. ;)

http://onkudu.com/life-on-water/a-late-arrival/

Nathan,

you have a form of boatyard dementia

bbut the best of luck to you man

what are you ngoing to do about the pox

D

nathanlee

Visit site
what are you ngoing to do about the pox

Oh, I forgot to mention that. Jolly good luck, that is.

The keel had it too. The solid lead, unsheathed, keel.

Turns out, the previous owner, or one before that, had applied some sort of gel shield, but not primed the surface properly (painted over antifoul for starters), and that had bubbled like mad.

Hull is actually sound as a (pre 2008) pound.

It looks slightly more messy that it should in that pic. I'd finished the fore cabin, but due to some last minute mods, had all the panels off.

nathanlee

Visit site
You'd rather fix 'em than sail 'em I suspect! You could probably make a living doing just that. :D

God, no! I find most of it a torment. Well, some of it. I enjoy the satisfying "pay off" bit of a completed job, but getting there I find most annoying.

One day, in the distant future, I may be able to afford something that's ready to go. Still, one nice thing about rolling your own is absolutely everything is just how I want it :)

sarabande

Visit site
Lazarette ? As the female, diminutive form of Lazarus ?

What are you going to do with all the space ?

Lakesailor

Visit site
Yes. Have kept an eye on her for about 5 years, getting decoratively more distressed.
However those Colvics seem to be built well.

LateArrival01.jpg

looseheadsail1.jpg

LateArrivalAgain.jpg

ivorufo

Visit site
UFO 31

Your UFO31 looks to have a taller rig than the standard masthead one which appears shorter with just one spreader. I completed mine from a "kit" in 1980 and had her for twenty years - great boat, a bit twichy downhill but safe and with a powerful rudder. Had lots of heavy weather coming back from Azores and she kept us dry and tracked well under twin hdsails. The mouldings are very good; especially balsa cored deck moulding which puts some of the modern stuff to shame imho.
Good luck....she'll be worth it.