Cheap Windlass Remote

Beneteau381

Visit site
My Sidepower windlass remote fob has gone kaput. They want £200 for a new one. Alternative, whole system makes from chandlers are £300 to £500. I can get a complete fob and remote box on Amazon for less than £35. At this low price will they do? Anyone got experience, good or bad?
Wireless Winch Remote Control Kit Anchor Remote Windlass Wireless Switch Trim Controller Marine Boat Accessory : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
Aramox Windlass Controller,Anchor Remote Control Windlass Wireless Switch ABS Trim Controller Marine Boat Sail Accessory 2 Transmitter : Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors
I’ve just fitted one of these, works great Dual Voltage 12v and 24v Wireless Winch Control Twin Pack

KAM

Visit site
I am still working on a similar wireless remote set up to fit to our ancient B and G autopilot. 6 channel wireless relay with two remotes is only marginally more expensive than the windless remote.

Been looking at the same. I have a Raymarine wired remote which is crying out for conversion. Quite confusing trying to decide which unit to go for. A lot of the remote devices look very small. It would need to be something that could be repackaged with decent buttons. Which ones are you looking at.

TSB240

Visit site
Been looking at the same. I have a Raymarine wired remote which is crying out for conversion. Quite confusing trying to decide which unit to go for. A lot of the remote devices look very small. It would need to be something that could be repackaged with decent buttons. Which ones are you looking at.
I bought mine from amazon with two remotes but now showing not available!
eMylo DC 12V 6 Channels Relays RF 150m Learning Smart Wireless Remote Control Switch White & Blue Transmitter: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

Similar is available on ebay.

You can get them modified by the supplier with buttons marked as your wired remote.

I just use 1 for AP on, 2 for Standby, 3 for 10+, 4 for 10- , etc. You soon learn. The transmitter is large enough for use with gloved fingers.

If you have a fully wired remote all you need to do is mimic the connections.
You can opt to wire the receiver relays in parrallel.and retain your hard wired remote.

A second hand wired remote for our Band G network pilot is more than ten times the cost of the wireless remote.
It switches a common 0v and each switch is individually wired direct to the central course computer.

You might not have the same with your Raymarine wired remote as they tend to connect everything with the Seatalk bus system. Check before you buy!

Steve.

KAM

Visit site
Thanks for that. Yes its connected to seatalk so I would need to wire into the buttons on the remote but don't see any problems. Was also thinking of wiring a channel into the engine stop solenoid in case of MOB single handing.

WightMistress

Visit site
I don't know that one but many of us have fitted these without any problems, pity they've gone up in price though - Boat Anchor Remote Windlass Wireless Switch Sail Trim Controller Fit 12V | eBay
Many thanks for that info. Just ordered one on eBay, 27 June 2023 and the price is now £14.48. I have a Lofrans Tigers windlass with a Vega cable remote and the coiled cable insulation is breaking up (after 40 years) but the windlass is fine. A replacement 4 core coiled cable was going to cost minimum £25 AND the plug looks like it has to be destroyed to remove it from the existing cable. My windlass relay is easily accessible (under helm in Fisher 34 wheelhouse) so that is my plan. Thanks again.
Steve White. F34 Wight Mistress.

noelex

Visit site
The cheap wireless controllers are well worthwhile. They do have some drawbacks, for example, even a very short button press activates the anchor winch for longer than ideal when trying to park the anchor.

Having gone through a few of the cheap units (we anchor 24/7 so the winch is frequently used), I purchased an industrial wireless crane remote. These are more durable, and take standard AA batteries. It was much cheaper than the marine versions.
00D2DB63-AD59-4B13-8D16-79E4EF292C11.jpeg