Cheap outboard carburettors

2copplane

Visit site
I like my small lightweight 3-4hp outboards but they are getting old and unreliable. I’ve done the usual and cleaned the carbs (carb cleaner, air compressor, ultrasound bath), new fuel, in-line fuel filter, cleaned tanks, hours fiddling, but they still have issues. The current old carbs probably need one new component either seals, jets, floats, needle valve etc.. and could be into a lot of cost and effort by the time I’ve pinpointed the faulty component.

I’ve notice very cheap new Chinese carbs for sale on eBay, around £25-40.00 and wondered if anyone had purchased one and could give some negative feedback?

the outboards are a Johnson 3.5hp and a Malta 3hp.

A slight aside but the Johnson carb float bowl seems to fill up with water. 2 months since last used and it had more water than fuel when I emptied the bowl.

Kilo

Visit site
I've been looking at these too - I've a 4hp yamaha that I'm hoping will become 5 if I stick a larger carb on....
Done lots of fairly aimless window shopping on Alibaba & ebay but yet to spend my money.
Interested to see what people have to say.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I bought a Chinese carburettor early this year for about £50 delivered.

It was for a 2T 4hp Mariner. I actually purchased the 6hp carb which works fine . Looks to be made quite well.

It's been mentioned on these forums before that quality control can vary on products from the Far East. When this has happened to myself, there has been no problem in getting a refund.

My concern now is delivery/import costs . Recent experiences would be very welcome.

wombat88

Visit site
I put one on a Honda lawnmower last year, it was cheap and it is still working. Not much else to say.

2copplane

Visit site
Thanks guys. I've hit "buy it now" on a new one for my Malta and will report back. I like the idea of a bigger carb, seen a forum where guy was getting 7hp+ out of his Malta, and trying for 9hp with some major mods. Though for now I'd be happy with a reliable 3hp

penfold

Visit site
Not sure what the point of a 7hp Malta would be, the prop won't put it into the water and the gearbox wouldn't last long if it did.

greeny

Visit site
Thanks guys. I've hit "buy it now" on a new one for my Malta and will report back. I like the idea of a bigger carb, seen a forum where guy was getting 7hp+ out of his Malta, and trying for 9hp with some major mods. Though for now I'd be happy with a reliable 3hp
Seems a massive power increase for just changing the carb. 3 to 7 ? I'd be sceptical. How did he measure his reported 7 HP? Fuel mix in is limited by the in and out hole sizes.

C08

Visit site
I bought a Chinese carburettor early this year for about £50 delivered.

It was for a 2T 4hp Mariner. I actually purchased the 6hp carb which works fine . Looks to be made quite well.

It's been mentioned on these forums before that quality control can vary on products from the Far East. When this has happened to myself, there has been no problem in getting a refund.

My concern now is delivery/import costs . Recent experiences would be very welcome.
I bought a towbar from Poland - no import duty under £132.

2copplane

Visit site
Seems a massive power increase for just changing the carb. 3 to 7 ? I'd be sceptical. How did he measure his reported 7 HP? Fuel mix in is limited by the in and out hole sizes.

It’s on the screamandfly forum, he also explains how he measured it. He did more than just add a bigger carb “ This one does have digital inner rotor ignition with a nice preignition curve fix programmed in the cdi, Glass Fiber Membran in stock housing, kart Membran carburettor tuned to slightely lean condition (A/F Ratio) with 16mm venturi only and 11:1 total compression ratio with .6mm squish band (approx. 40% of the bore)
Rest of "Block" and exhaust are stock!

next Target are 10HP @ less than 7,000 rpm (becomes much more difficult)
i will use another block with more rpm willing degrees of exhaust timing and surface space...”.