Cheap"ish" moorings in Hamble/Warsash area?

tom_sail

Visit site
I have been successful in getting a Deck Officer Cadetship with BP. With the possibility of being sent to Warsash.

This has somewhat scuppered my Round Britain Circumnavigation plans (or to the purists Round England, Wales and Scottish Lowlands via the Cally)

It is possible to find any kind of mooring in the Hamble area with limited waiting lists and below £3000 PA that allow liveaboards?

Where else has available moorings within commuting distances of Warsash?

Thanks

Angele

Visit site
Somone asked an almost identical question very recently. When I find it I'll post a link.

Here you go: link. Ok, so Barry only wanted one for a week, but he liked it so much he stayed much longer! (Although the weather had a part in that decision!!)

Last edited:

Babylon

Visit site
Fantastic news, well done! :)

Re liveaboard moorings, you could try Deacons at the top of the (navigable for yachts) Hamble. From memory, for your size you could squeeze in at under £3k.

Other liveaboard options include up the River Itchen.

Alternatively, if you can find shoreside accomodation and are interested in a very reasonably-priced swinging mooring at the very mouth of the Hamble (albeit exposed to the prevailing south-westerlies), then PM me and I'll put you in touch with the chap who manages them.

tom_sail

Visit site
Somone asked an almost identical question very recently. When I find it I'll post a link.

Here you go: link. Ok, so Barry only wanted one for a week, but he liked it so much he stayed much longer! (Although the weather had a part in that decision!!)

Thank you for going to trouble of finding that, I thought I saw that similar thread.

Fantastic news, well done! :)

Re liveaboard moorings, you could try Deacons at the top of the (navigable for yachts) Hamble. From memory, for your size you could squeeze in at under £3k.

Other liveaboard options include up the River Itchen.

Alternatively, if you can find shoreside accomodation and are interested in a very reasonably-priced swinging mooring at the very mouth of the Hamble (albeit exposed to the prevailing south-westerlies), then PM me and I'll put you in touch with the chap who manages them.

Your reply has been very help! Especially regarding the Deacons berths. Luckily I know the Hamble and Swanwick fairly well, enjoying the upper reaches of the river and the Jolly Sailor!

The swinging moorings at the mouth of the Hamble would suffice as a tempory measure but I'm not to sure about the dinghy ride to college in the mornings and late nights.

I can't really afford to rent a house and berthing fees, the monthly salary is between £500 and £600 a month, so the plan is to live aboard. I'm aiming for: £3000/12=£250 a month on berthing fees give or take a few hundred.

Well done matey try Kemps yard Southampton.

Thanks for recommendation, is that up the Itchen?

BarryH

Visit site
I did spend a week at Decons, great yard and brilliant staff. You'd squeeze in at around 3k, BUT on top of that would be leccy, if you plugged in.

What about if you drop the mast and then go above the bridges, would that be an option? Driving over the M27 bridge I seem to recall a few liveaboards up there. Looks idylic....apart from the M27 bridge, but I'm sure you could get far enough away from it. From memory anchoring is allowed on the hamble above the bridges, thats free. Depends on what facilities you want. Mooring fees are going to take a fair chunk of income.

prv

Visit site
Well done matey try Kemps yard Southampton.

Thanks for recommendation, is that up the Itchen?

Yes, just downstream of Northam Bridge. It's where I keep KS.

The pontoons there are tidal, so prices vary depending on how many hours a day you want to be afloat. We're on the inside of the outermost pontoon and reckon to need 1.8m above datum to reliably get in or out; as a rough guess I imagine the inner berths are about a metre higher up, perhaps slightly more. You'd best ask someone on a nearby berth to the one you're offered if you want to know exactly.

There are a number of fin keeled boats that sink into the mud in the upper berths, it's not restricted to bilge keelers only.

There are a number of liveaboards there; I've seen them getting together for barbecues in the yard in summer. They also keep an eye on things; when I forgot the new code once and my mate climbed round the gate to let us onto the pontoons, two guys who live there saw us and came to challenge what we were up to.

Only issue is distance from Warsash; ok if you're planning to commute by car, but a bit far for daily travel by dinghy unless you have a serious RIB.

Pete

Racecruiser

Visit site
Tom. Congrats on the position with BP - I've never seen them launching the lifeboats from that structure but suppose it happens sometimes! Must be a big splash ....

Anyway I suggest you pop in or call Chris at Warsash Marine. You could walk to the college from there. Been there for 5 years or more now - mention Peter C when you do!

If you do move in let me know and we can have a beer at WSC or the Rising Sun.

RobbieW

Visit site
Its also worth a call to the Hamble harbour masters office, bad time of year though. Persistence often works but perhaps leave it till August

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
HM sometimes has short term berths available - essentially sub-lets for berth holders who are out of the water or off cruising. I managed a couple of years on the river like that, having to move maybe five or six times. These are mid-stream so a decent tender is vital.

ianat182

Visit site
A couple of suggestions for you to try on the Hamble:

02380 454512 -Hamble/ Warsash Ferry have several moorings some half-tide one or two alongside a pontoon near Hamble River Sailing Club- Ask for Mike.

02380 453124 - Tucker and Munday(Satchell Lane,Hamble) Derek Munday has a few deep water moorings,one near to mine on the Hamble side of the river for about a 30 footer that's been vacant for some time, but won't be cheap I suspect.

02380 453542 - Clive Fish( proprietor of the beachside cafe on the foreshore)has a few moorings that may not all be taken up this season,so worth a phone call.

I don't think any will be liveaboard approved, but a check with the Harbourmaster's office will confirm,and may have spare moorings. Long term Visitor moorings may be a possibility.

ianat182

prv

Visit site
I don't think any will be liveaboard approved, but a check with the Harbourmaster's office will confirm

Is this some local byelaw? Obviously someone renting out moorings can put whatever reasonable conditions on it they want (and not allowing liveaboards is standard for marina moorings) but I can't see what it has to do with anybody else such as harbourmasters.

Pete

ianat182

Visit site
To be honest I'm not sure, but better to have checked first than guess. My Moorings licence states under -

Use: para 8.1. The licensee must not use the Mooring as a permananent residence,for commercial or business purposes, and may only use the mooring for private recreational purposes.

I guess this applies to those proprietors who are all licencees of moorings, though they may own the mooring itself, as I do. Hence the mention previously.

ianat182

prv

Visit site
My Moorings licence states under -

Use: para 8.1. The licensee must not use the Mooring as a permananent residence,for commercial or business purposes, and may only use the mooring for private recreational purposes.

Fair enough - not a byelaw but a condition on the license from the Crown Estate. Hadn't thought of that one :)

Pete

VicMallows

Visit site
My Moorings licence states under -

Use: para 8.1. The licensee must not use the Mooring as a permananent residence,

In the absence of any more specific definition of 'permanent residence' in the agreement, it might be considered reasonable to assume a similar definition as that applied to 'holiday homes'. This I believe is typically a maximum of 50 weeks occupation in any one year. I don't think that would be a particularly onerous condition for a boat on a mooring? ;)

tom_sail

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I have plenty of info to chew on. I know there's a few live aboards on the Hamble but as said they have to leave their mooring for a week or two.

PhillM

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies! I have plenty of info to chew on. I know there's a few live aboards on the Hamble but as said they have to leave their mooring for a week or two.

Premier offer 42 days in their other marinas and MDL do freedom crusing, perhaps you could simply take weekend jaunts to one of their other marinas and that way not exceed the time limit for continious use that makes you a livaboard?

prv

Visit site
Premier offer 42 days in their other marinas and MDL do freedom crusing, perhaps you could simply take weekend jaunts to one of their other marinas and that way not exceed the time limit for continious use that makes you a livaboard?

I don't think posh marinas like that let you live aboard (in practice as opposed to theory) in the first place - lowers the tone, don'tchaknow :). Plus, the thread title did say "cheapish".

Pete