Chart Bundle with Garmin 551 - Recommended?

orion50

Visit site
the garmin Chartplotter GPSmap 551 seems to be reasonably priced (£440) and comes with what is described as

a built-in, satellite-enhanced basemap preloaded with marine charts for the U.K. and Ireland.

The blurb then goes on to say it also accepts Bluechart vision cards for added features

Are the pre-loaded marine charts sufficient for navigation purposes or will I end up buying the bluechart also?

Supplementary query
How does the Garmin chart detail compare to the C-Map Megawide Max Atlantic Coasts Chart MW2 which is offered with the Standard Horizon CP300 chartplotter?

Thanks

Last edited:

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
Hi There,

Yep, the embedded chart in the Garmin 451,551,556, etc series of chartplotters can all be used for detailed navigation - I believe they are the same as a standard Bluechart, it then goes on to tell you that you can add G2 Vision cards which are the all singing/all dancing versions with Fish Eye view, Pictures, etc. I am not sure if the embedded charting can be updated though. (Edit: Yes you can via the Garmin website, oops!)

The C-MAP charting used with the Standard Horizon gear has accurate tide information and real-time navigation features (synchronised to flash real time with nav buoys, etc) as part of the chart.

Last edited:

FishyInverness

www.gaelforcegroup.com
No probs :)

Incidentally, just a tip, you mention that the CMAP MW2 chart being available with the CP300.

Depending where you get it, that chart is available on offer with the whole range of Standard Horizon plotters.

That does mean (again, depending where you'd get it) you can kit up a CP180 which has the same size screen as the 551, with the full MW2 chart for only around £20 more - and the MW2 chart is a MASSIVE area.

Hostage

Visit site
Hi There,

I am not sure if the embedded charting can be updated though. (Edit: Yes you can via the Garmin website, oops!)

QUOTE]

Although you are correct that the embedded chart can be updated, it doesn't upload onto the 551, you need to load it onto an SD Card and keep that in the slot...

I have the 550. Recently I downloaded Free updates from the Garmin site onto an SD card and the unit accepted the download. I then withdrew the SD card.

I was quite impressed.

fergie_mac66

Visit site
battery

we have a 451 and a 172c no problem with small size and a big advantage for raggi is small screen uses a lot less battery , bigger screens use a lot off juice

ukmctc

out cruising, sailing around UK and Europe
Visit site
The garmins are excellent, the charts are good for navigation and no problems with detail on the screen. No need to buy Vision charts but they are fantastic if you have sonar, and google earth pictures of all the harbours marinas and ports.

I used the 555 to take my boat around the Walton backwaters, Tollesbury and around the east coast rivers in Kent and Suffolk, excellent.

Play with it, 'cos it does more than it says on the tin....

Hostage

Visit site
What do peeps think of a 4 or 5 inch screen size ( those that 'ave em) ? big enough to work with?

I have a 550 with the UK & Ire bundle.( Xmas pressie ) Before that I was using a full sized laptop with Bluechart software. Didnt think I would take to the small screen.

At first I used both but the laptop was sore on amps which vexed me. I have now become completely comfortable with the small screen and only carry the laptop for ancillary purposes and as a backup .

I make a point of checking the accuracy and have found it to be remarkable good. Did good West of Ire and West of Scot.

The bundle now covers South to Brest and North to German border and likes AIS

Hope this helps.