Charging leisure batteries from engine

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Currently on a 2024 charter Hanse 418 in Croatia. Leisure batteries getting very low despite hours of motoring. Nothing in the Hanse manual about battery charging but it looks like the alternator doesn’t charge the leisure batteries. Is this normal?

We’re going to have to find some shore power.

jlavery

Visit site
Will do that of course, yes.
is there any indication that the alternator is providing any output at all (voltage meter on panel)? It could be that no charging is taking place. If engine starts easily, engine battery can last for ages with no charge.

Another obvious question (sorry) - all connections look OK? Can you trace/see connection to house battery?

What a pain - just what you don't want on a charter. Where are you? (Ignore that, just re-read your post 😬)

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I’m confident that the alternator is ok because the engine battery came up to 100 percent and voltage was over 14v when engine running. Schoolboy error not to notice the leisure battery until day 2. Got a neighbouring quay here with power so we’re moving over there in a few minutes.

I’ve now had a look at the charger. Only one 12v output, so think this must be as designed.

jlavery

Visit site
I’m confident that the alternator is ok because the engine battery came up to 100 percent and voltage was over 14v when engine running. Schoolboy error not to notice the leisure battery until day 2. Got a neighbouring quay here with power so we’re moving over there in a few minutes.

I’ve now had a look at the charger. Only one 12v output, so think this must be as designed.
Sounds good. Interesting to hear what charter company say. Hard to believe it's by design.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com

Not a schoolboy error. EXTREAMILY poor hand over by the charter company.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Update on this for the record. Battery collapsed to c. 7% despite turning almost everything off, so we decided not to risk sailing on, with the risk that if the battery failed completely we’d lose depth, nav gear, bilge pumps, lighting, winches, water pumps etc. So we stayed an extra night on shore power. Battery still only 70% after 20 hours on AC. CharterCo confirm that the engine is supposed to charge the leisure batteries but it clearly doesn’t, we lost a whole day albeit not in hardship conditions!

Overall this was a great week despite the problems, but the boat was pretty poor. Loads of other minor and irritating issues. Boat sailed really well but the ergonomics and fit out were very poor. Brand new 2024 Hanse 418. I’d never charter one again, let alone recommend it or buy one, a very disappointing experience all round. Rubbish.