Channel or bust

Robin

Visit site
Once in a while though the totally moonless BLACK night is magic, if there is no cloud cover you can see the stars without the light polution we have got used to. Mind you sailing down the moonbeam takes some beating, then there's the phosphorescence. Roll on summer...

<hr width=100% size=1>

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Day crossing with the sun beating down on you - great!
But a bit difficult to judge if the sea monsters will pass ahead or astern.
Night crossing with a full moon and loads of stars - equally great!
Easy to tell from the nav lights if they are passing ahead or astern but when you see one (or two close together) lit up like a multicoloured Christmas tree, it will make you run for your light recognition book.
Whenever you go, have fun.

<hr width=100% size=1>
ladybug_zigzag_md_wht.gif

jimi

Visit site
When the moonless sky is totally clear then that as you say that is pure magic. You see all the shooting stars and it is quite light. But on a moonless cloudy night its as black as the ace of spades and it can be quite difficult then to steer a course or see waves.

<hr width=100% size=1>.. whit way roon should it be again ..

tome

www.google.co.uk
Whin ra moon is in its seventh hoos

An ra Jupiter aligns wi ra Mars...

Best get ra rubber mittens aen afore yon wee iron maiden returns Jimi.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
When the moon hits your eye
Like a big pizza pie
That's sore

<hr width=100% size=1>.. whit way roon should it be again ..

qsiv

Visit site
The day night issue is always going to be personal preference. Looking back at 20 trips over the last 3 or 4 years I find only two have been daylight...

I prefer night, as, if the radar fails, I find shipping easier to sort out with lights to help. A summers night is rarely cold, and so short that you can both depart and arrive in daylight, yet have the added security of the 3 big lights on the French Coast to aid arrival plotting.

I also happen to love sailing on a summer moonlit night...

<hr width=100% size=1>

tome

www.google.co.uk
I agree that night sailing can be very special - nowt like contemplating the stars on a warm summers night. I think that as I'm getting older its taking longer to recover from a disrupted night, however. Also agree about moon-lit nights being wonderful: we had a night sail over last year with bright moonlight which dipped below the horizon just as the sun came up. Pure magic.

For a first crossing, I would still suggest daylight as 1) darkness can increase anxiety and 2) it's less likely that a novice helm will be left to fend alone.

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Re: Yup!

All my misdemeanours are in the log. Large volume that!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by robp on 27/02/2004 16:53 (server time).</FONT></P>

Robin

Visit site
SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed (spouse), occasionally also Her Indoors
AWB is Average White Boat, a derogative term applied by some deranged people to (especially) Benneteau/Jeanneau/Bavaria or Ben/Jen/Bavs who mistakenly believe that their KnOBS (knackered old boats) or ESBs (expensive snobby boats) are the only boats to take to sea in. Just joking :0) of course and a couple of those I have just this minute invented for future use......!

Welcome to the madhouse!

<hr width=100% size=1>

A

Anonymous

I'm auctioning seven Tele Pilot Videos on Ebay at the moment - two of them cover channel crossings but the others are well worth watching, too. I cannot recommend them too highly for your first crossing, it'll take a lot of the fear and uncertainty out. All the details are there for each video, seven in all. Search Channel One
Crossing the Channel 2
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3389645809&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:UK:1>Channel 'The longer crossing'</A>

<hr width=100% size=1>

chriscallender

Visit site
5 July sounds about right, as I remember having a few beers too many on my birthday on 11 July in St Peter Port!

Chris

<hr width=100% size=1>

robp

Visit site
Sorry, not normally in to jargon but SWMBO's kind of nice! AWB always amuses me because the perpetuators' vessels are normally err, white and at the time of their launch, average!

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by robp on 29/02/2004 21:45 (server time).</FONT></P>