Channel Islands recommendations

horatio_nelson

Visit site
I'm going on a week's cruise of the Channel Islands soon.

I'm going in my RM880 which has twin keels and can take the ground.

Rough plan is Portland - Alderney - Jersey - Les Ecrehous - Guernsey - Herm - Portland.

I want to take advantage of the ability to dry out anyone got any suggestions of good spots to dry out? And any more general thoughts on a CI cruise also welcome.

Just two blokes on board.

Thanks!

guernseyman

Visit site
The only place I can think of where people regularly dry out is Herm - tying up fore and aft either to ground chains on the beach on the N side of the harbour or to the walls inside.
No charge, but let the office know.
www.herm.com

BelleSerene

Visit site
You could have fun in Alderney harbour as a first stop, walking ashore from the sandy bay.

Fermain Bay just South of St Peter Port is a nice easy bay and you could take the ground there over HW, walking to the beach café.

Sybarite

Visit site
I'm going on a week's cruise of the Channel Islands soon.

I'm going in my RM880 which has twin keels and can take the ground.

Rough plan is Portland - Alderney - Jersey - Les Ecrehous - Guernsey - Herm - Portland.

I want to take advantage of the ability to dry out anyone got any suggestions of good spots to dry out? And any more general thoughts on a CI cruise also welcome.

Just two blokes on board.

Thanks!

I cannot understand the attraction of drying out.

You know what the conditions are when you arrive but if it blows up later how much bouncing on the bottom are you going to do before getting free?

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info
There are excellent sailing guides for each of the channel islands, giving great detail about what's possible, and what not. My web site gives a general guide to cruising the area, and provides links to these various guides for the detail. Google "jimb channel isles" to find the relevant pages.

Including the links it's a lot of reading, but well worth it. I've dried out in many ports, sometimes to lean on a harbour wall (and scrub down the anti-foul!), and sometimes for the sheer isolated beauty of resting in a pool, sheltered at low water.

To get the best results, choose your trip timing to work the tidal streams, and use the tidal range to give a good night's rest!

Last edited:

Bathdave

Visit site
Herms lovely, we really like Sark and reckon that is worth a visit (not drying though, or at least I haven't found anywhere to do so

We dried out at Ecrehous last month and it was fabulous, we had the place to ourselves (it gets busy at weekends)

We really like iles de Chausey if you have time to get down that far, lots of places to dry there.

In Jersey as well as st aubins, you can dry in st brelades in settled weather

Seven Spades

Visit site
ile Chaussey should not be missed. Not technically a Channel Island but not far south of St Helier it would be a real shame to go to the CI's and miss it. Pick up a Shom chart:-

7134 L - Iles Chausey - Ports en Baie de Seine

Popeye & Olive

Visit site
Ok, they'll need to update the web page then. https://www.gov.gg/healthcareforvisitors/travellers

Guernsey is outside of the UK National Health Service (NHS) and the European Health Insurance Card (E.H.I.C.) is not valid in the Bailiwick.
Visitors from the United Kingdom and other Non-Reciprocal Countries will have to pay a fee for all medical services, including primary care, hospital accommodation, radiology, pathology, pharmacy and physiotherapy.
Services that incur a charge:
GP in the Emergency Department (ED) at the Princess Elizabeth Hospital, Guernsey or the Mignot Memorial Hospital, Alderney
General Practitioner (GP) call outs
GP at their Surgery
Dentists in their Surgery or at ED
Physiotherapy requested by the GP
Ambulance journeys
Exemptions
Visitors to the Bailiwick from Non-Reciprocal Countries in the following categories will not have to pay:
UK prisoners at Les Nicolles Prison
Immediately necessary hospital treatment for certain contagious diseases (see above under the Healthcare information for Guernsey residents when travelling to Countries without a Health Agreement (including the UK) section)
Immediately necessary hospital treatment of individuals who are symptomatic of a sexually transmitted disease. HIV is not included expect for initial diagnostic testing and associated counselling
Immediately necessary compulsory psychiatric treatment
Military Personnel on active duty with Her Majesty's Service are eligible for 'free' treatment
Repatriation
Repatriation costs, if required following treatment, can be extremely costly as there may be a need to charter a plane or for clinical staff to accompany the patient. The visitor or their insurers must meet all of these costs.